Jun 11, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Of the many variables in the Sidney Crosby contract negotiations with the Pittsburgh Penguins, one of the big ones could be insurance. Specifically, what if the contract can’t be insured due to his concussion history?
The CBC’s Elliott Friedman investigated the potential snag:
Talking to five NHL executives, I asked each one the same question: “If you said to your owner, ‘I’ve completed a 10-year, $90-million deal with Sidney Crosby, but we can’t insure it,’ what would he say?”
All of them thought about it for a couple of seconds and then said some variation of, “He’d do it.” Although, the assistant added: “I’d like to see you ask an owner this question.” I’m working on it.
“He’s [Crosby],” said one GM. “You know, it’s a risk, but it’s a risk you take. I’m sure his injuries are a sensitive subject, but the Penguins have the medical reports. They know him better than anyone else.”
Noted a second GM: “If you don’t do it, someone else is going to.”
Added a third GM: “If you sign him to this deal and he gets hurt in two years, you’re going to look stupid. But if you don’t, he plays the next 10 years like he can and goes down as one of the best ever, you’re going to look even more stupid.”
Whether Pittsburgh ownership insists Crosby accepts a lower salary in return for the risk is another question.
Regardless, it’s hard to imagine money getting in the way of a deal between Crosby and the Penguins. There’s no indication he’s unhappy in Pittsburgh, and he’s already pretty rich.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)