Jun 10, 2012, 1:16 PM EST
Brodeur has been oozing confidence all playoffs long and showed his cool demeanor last night. His teammates sung his praises wildly even going so far as to say he’s the underdog going up against Quick. Is it time to think maybe Brodeur has a shot at winning his first Conn Smythe Trophy whether the Devils comeback to win or not? It’s a good argument.
Overall, Quick has the better numbers through the playoffs but Brodeur is lurking in the weeds. He’s got a 2.00 goals against average and a .922 save percentage and, as his teammates have made sure to note, he’s the reason why there’s a Game 6 tomorrow night.
If the Kings wrap things up on Monday, the award is almost definitely going to Quick. But if it goes seven games and say Brodeur stands on his head in Game 6 to make it happen? All bets are off. We’ve seen losing goaltenders take home the Conn Smythe before. Jean-Sebastien Giguere stole it from Brodeur in 2003 and Ron Hextall got in 1987 for helping take the scoring machine Edmonton Oilers to seven games in the finals.
What do you think? Will Brodeur steal it from Quick?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)