Jun 10, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Brodeur has been oozing confidence all playoffs long and showed his cool demeanor last night. His teammates sung his praises wildly even going so far as to say he’s the underdog going up against Quick. Is it time to think maybe Brodeur has a shot at winning his first Conn Smythe Trophy whether the Devils comeback to win or not? It’s a good argument.
Overall, Quick has the better numbers through the playoffs but Brodeur is lurking in the weeds. He’s got a 2.00 goals against average and a .922 save percentage and, as his teammates have made sure to note, he’s the reason why there’s a Game 6 tomorrow night.
If the Kings wrap things up on Monday, the award is almost definitely going to Quick. But if it goes seven games and say Brodeur stands on his head in Game 6 to make it happen? All bets are off. We’ve seen losing goaltenders take home the Conn Smythe before. Jean-Sebastien Giguere stole it from Brodeur in 2003 and Ron Hextall got in 1987 for helping take the scoring machine Edmonton Oilers to seven games in the finals.
What do you think? Will Brodeur steal it from Quick?
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 0
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)