Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM EST
Jonathan Quick is a big reason why Los Angeles made it to the Stanley Cup finals and raced out to a 3-1 series lead.
That said, he deserves some blame for the Kings loss in Game 5 on Saturday.
To be clear, he didn’t cough up this game on his own — far from it. Martin Brodeur was great for the Devils and it’s categorically unfair to pin a 2-1 loss on your netminder. Still, in a low-scoring series like this one, it’s hard to recover from any goaltending mistake and Quick’s stick-handling gaffe on Zach Parise‘s power-play goal proved to be the difference.
“I didn’t put the puck where I wanted to,” Quick admitted. “Parise got it and put it in the net.”
Here’s video of the goal in case you missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
To see Quick gaffe so badly was rare, but not that rare.
Remember this?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That moral of the story is that even good goalies can allow the occasional bad goal. To Quick’s credit, he put the Parise goal behind him and was solid for the remainder of the contest. On another night, against another team, the Kings might have been able to recover — just not on Saturday.
That said, Quick is excited for another chance to win it all.
“At this time of the year, you’re going to win games and lose games,” Quick said. “We have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on Monday.
“You don’t need any other positives.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 29
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)