Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick is a big reason why Los Angeles made it to the Stanley Cup finals and raced out to a 3-1 series lead.
That said, he deserves some blame for the Kings loss in Game 5 on Saturday.
To be clear, he didn’t cough up this game on his own — far from it. Martin Brodeur was great for the Devils and it’s categorically unfair to pin a 2-1 loss on your netminder. Still, in a low-scoring series like this one, it’s hard to recover from any goaltending mistake and Quick’s stick-handling gaffe on Zach Parise‘s power-play goal proved to be the difference.
“I didn’t put the puck where I wanted to,” Quick admitted. “Parise got it and put it in the net.”
Here’s video of the goal in case you missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
To see Quick gaffe so badly was rare, but not that rare.
Remember this?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That moral of the story is that even good goalies can allow the occasional bad goal. To Quick’s credit, he put the Parise goal behind him and was solid for the remainder of the contest. On another night, against another team, the Kings might have been able to recover — just not on Saturday.
That said, Quick is excited for another chance to win it all.
“At this time of the year, you’re going to win games and lose games,” Quick said. “We have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on Monday.
“You don’t need any other positives.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)