Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick is a big reason why Los Angeles made it to the Stanley Cup finals and raced out to a 3-1 series lead.
That said, he deserves some blame for the Kings loss in Game 5 on Saturday.
To be clear, he didn’t cough up this game on his own — far from it. Martin Brodeur was great for the Devils and it’s categorically unfair to pin a 2-1 loss on your netminder. Still, in a low-scoring series like this one, it’s hard to recover from any goaltending mistake and Quick’s stick-handling gaffe on Zach Parise‘s power-play goal proved to be the difference.
“I didn’t put the puck where I wanted to,” Quick admitted. “Parise got it and put it in the net.”
Here’s video of the goal in case you missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
To see Quick gaffe so badly was rare, but not that rare.
Remember this?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That moral of the story is that even good goalies can allow the occasional bad goal. To Quick’s credit, he put the Parise goal behind him and was solid for the remainder of the contest. On another night, against another team, the Kings might have been able to recover — just not on Saturday.
That said, Quick is excited for another chance to win it all.
“At this time of the year, you’re going to win games and lose games,” Quick said. “We have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on Monday.
“You don’t need any other positives.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)