Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM EST
Jonathan Quick is a big reason why Los Angeles made it to the Stanley Cup finals and raced out to a 3-1 series lead.
That said, he deserves some blame for the Kings loss in Game 5 on Saturday.
To be clear, he didn’t cough up this game on his own — far from it. Martin Brodeur was great for the Devils and it’s categorically unfair to pin a 2-1 loss on your netminder. Still, in a low-scoring series like this one, it’s hard to recover from any goaltending mistake and Quick’s stick-handling gaffe on Zach Parise‘s power-play goal proved to be the difference.
“I didn’t put the puck where I wanted to,” Quick admitted. “Parise got it and put it in the net.”
Here’s video of the goal in case you missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
To see Quick gaffe so badly was rare, but not that rare.
Remember this?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That moral of the story is that even good goalies can allow the occasional bad goal. To Quick’s credit, he put the Parise goal behind him and was solid for the remainder of the contest. On another night, against another team, the Kings might have been able to recover — just not on Saturday.
That said, Quick is excited for another chance to win it all.
“At this time of the year, you’re going to win games and lose games,” Quick said. “We have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on Monday.
“You don’t need any other positives.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)