Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick is a big reason why Los Angeles made it to the Stanley Cup finals and raced out to a 3-1 series lead.
That said, he deserves some blame for the Kings loss in Game 5 on Saturday.
To be clear, he didn’t cough up this game on his own — far from it. Martin Brodeur was great for the Devils and it’s categorically unfair to pin a 2-1 loss on your netminder. Still, in a low-scoring series like this one, it’s hard to recover from any goaltending mistake and Quick’s stick-handling gaffe on Zach Parise‘s power-play goal proved to be the difference.
“I didn’t put the puck where I wanted to,” Quick admitted. “Parise got it and put it in the net.”
Here’s video of the goal in case you missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
To see Quick gaffe so badly was rare, but not that rare.
Remember this?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That moral of the story is that even good goalies can allow the occasional bad goal. To Quick’s credit, he put the Parise goal behind him and was solid for the remainder of the contest. On another night, against another team, the Kings might have been able to recover — just not on Saturday.
That said, Quick is excited for another chance to win it all.
“At this time of the year, you’re going to win games and lose games,” Quick said. “We have an opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on Monday.
“You don’t need any other positives.”
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)