Jun 10, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils were down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals.
Now that they’ve forced a Game 6 thanks to their 2-1 win in Game 5, their confidence is rising. The bounces are going their way and they’re catching the breaks any team needs to swing things in their favor. For New Jersey, believing in themselves the whole time has been huge for them and that’s bad news for a Los Angeles team now feeling the heat to finish off a series that once seemed inevitable.
“I think it’s just growing with every period and every goal we score we know that we can do it,” Devils defenseman Mark Fayne said about his team’s confidence following Game 6.
“We just keep pressing. We’ve shown we can play with them in the first two overtime games, it was just more lucky bounces in those games that could go our way. I think we’re working extra hard and it’s paying off.”
By forcing a Game 6, the Devils are rallying around themselves and they know they’re in a position to potentially pull of something huge. Devils rookie Adam Henrique says they’re not going to get caught looking ahead.
“We’ve still got a couple to go. There’s no doubt in our minds that this is something we can accomplish.”
The Kings will have to double their efforts to beat New Jersey. A team welling up with the kind of confidence the Devils have now is at its most dangerous.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)