Jun 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
You’ve heard plenty about the play of Jonathan Quick in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s one of — if not the — front runners for the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
For the New Jersey Devils, future Hall-Of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is the lovable underdog.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne was asked if he feels Brodeur has been flying under the radar thanks to Quick.
Fayne made his opinion clear.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “Even in those first two games everyone was giving Quick the credit and Marty was making great saves and keeping us in those games while we weren’t playing that well.
“He was really the reason we got to overtime and now it’s showing up in the wins, and he’s just outstanding.”
Fayne says Brodeur’s cool demeanor goes a long way for the team. If he’s an underdog in this series, he’s not in their locker room.
“Even tonight, that last minute how calm and great he played,” Fayne said. “I think that comes with his experience and just his overall demeanor.
“He’s one of those guys that after Game 3 he was so calm and just telling everybody that we can still it get done. When you hear it from a guy like that, you really believe it.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)