Jun 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
You’ve heard plenty about the play of Jonathan Quick in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s one of — if not the — front runners for the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
For the New Jersey Devils, future Hall-Of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is the lovable underdog.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne was asked if he feels Brodeur has been flying under the radar thanks to Quick.
Fayne made his opinion clear.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “Even in those first two games everyone was giving Quick the credit and Marty was making great saves and keeping us in those games while we weren’t playing that well.
“He was really the reason we got to overtime and now it’s showing up in the wins, and he’s just outstanding.”
Fayne says Brodeur’s cool demeanor goes a long way for the team. If he’s an underdog in this series, he’s not in their locker room.
“Even tonight, that last minute how calm and great he played,” Fayne said. “I think that comes with his experience and just his overall demeanor.
“He’s one of those guys that after Game 3 he was so calm and just telling everybody that we can still it get done. When you hear it from a guy like that, you really believe it.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)