Jun 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
You’ve heard plenty about the play of Jonathan Quick in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s one of — if not the — front runners for the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
For the New Jersey Devils, future Hall-Of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is the lovable underdog.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne was asked if he feels Brodeur has been flying under the radar thanks to Quick.
Fayne made his opinion clear.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “Even in those first two games everyone was giving Quick the credit and Marty was making great saves and keeping us in those games while we weren’t playing that well.
“He was really the reason we got to overtime and now it’s showing up in the wins, and he’s just outstanding.”
Fayne says Brodeur’s cool demeanor goes a long way for the team. If he’s an underdog in this series, he’s not in their locker room.
“Even tonight, that last minute how calm and great he played,” Fayne said. “I think that comes with his experience and just his overall demeanor.
“He’s one of those guys that after Game 3 he was so calm and just telling everybody that we can still it get done. When you hear it from a guy like that, you really believe it.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)