Jun 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
You’ve heard plenty about the play of Jonathan Quick in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s one of — if not the — front runners for the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
For the New Jersey Devils, future Hall-Of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is the lovable underdog.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne was asked if he feels Brodeur has been flying under the radar thanks to Quick.
Fayne made his opinion clear.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “Even in those first two games everyone was giving Quick the credit and Marty was making great saves and keeping us in those games while we weren’t playing that well.
“He was really the reason we got to overtime and now it’s showing up in the wins, and he’s just outstanding.”
Fayne says Brodeur’s cool demeanor goes a long way for the team. If he’s an underdog in this series, he’s not in their locker room.
“Even tonight, that last minute how calm and great he played,” Fayne said. “I think that comes with his experience and just his overall demeanor.
“He’s one of those guys that after Game 3 he was so calm and just telling everybody that we can still it get done. When you hear it from a guy like that, you really believe it.”
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)