Jun 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
You’ve heard plenty about the play of Jonathan Quick in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s one of — if not the — front runners for the Conn Smythe Trophy for playoff MVP.
For the New Jersey Devils, future Hall-Of-Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is the lovable underdog.
Devils defenseman Mark Fayne was asked if he feels Brodeur has been flying under the radar thanks to Quick.
Fayne made his opinion clear.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “Even in those first two games everyone was giving Quick the credit and Marty was making great saves and keeping us in those games while we weren’t playing that well.
“He was really the reason we got to overtime and now it’s showing up in the wins, and he’s just outstanding.”
Fayne says Brodeur’s cool demeanor goes a long way for the team. If he’s an underdog in this series, he’s not in their locker room.
“Even tonight, that last minute how calm and great he played,” Fayne said. “I think that comes with his experience and just his overall demeanor.
“He’s one of those guys that after Game 3 he was so calm and just telling everybody that we can still it get done. When you hear it from a guy like that, you really believe it.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 52
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 54
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 161
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (162)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)