Jun 10, 2012, 12:18 AM EDT
Has adversity crept into the Los Angeles dressing room?
Shortly after the Kings failed to close out New Jersey for the second straight game — suffering their first playoff losing streak in the process — forward Justin Williams displayed a level of frustration rarely seen from L.A. this postseason.
“I’m pissed off,” Williams said. “A lot of guys in that room are pissed off.”
Williams was one of the strongest Kings on the night, scoring their lone goal and stuffing the stat sheet in nearly 20 minute of ice time. But his words spoke louder than his play, especially on a night when several Kings said nothing with theirs.
Anze Kopitar had no shots on goal in over 22 minutes. Dustin Penner had as many penalties (one) as he did hits. Dustin Brown was held pointless for the fourth time in five games this series and didn’t play in the final four minutes of regulation.
The most telling quote about the Kings, though, might’ve come from a Devil.
“I think they’re so close to winning the Stanley Cup,” Martin Brodeur said. “I’m sure it’s getting to them a little bit, to be able to have all these chances and not capitalize on them.
“It’s a matter of us now going into a tough environment in L.A., to try to ruin the party again.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)