Jun 10, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
If you’re wondering why, perhaps, the Kings haven’t quite looked like themselves lately, defenseman Drew Doughty has some ideas. the Kings had a chance to wrap up the Stanley Cup the last two games but failed to do so.
During today’s media availability, Doughty says playing at home in Game 4 proved to be more than a bit distracting.
“I think a lot of us before Game 4 were distracted with family members and friends, the Cup coming in the building,” Doughty said.
“A lot of things we have to put aside. Family always comes first for everyone, but at this point of the year, the team has to come first.”
That might sound like a cold, harsh reality but remember that this Kings team had taken to staying in a hotel while at home, too. Doughty says they’ve learned a lesson through this.
“We realize a lot of us didn’t play at our potential in Game 4. We were nervous, worried about other things. All of us in the room were kind of frustrated that we were thinking about things ahead of time. Darryl made sure that wasn’t going to happen this time. We’ll be well-prepared for Game 6.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)