Jun 10, 2012, 5:12 PM EST
If you’re wondering why, perhaps, the Kings haven’t quite looked like themselves lately, defenseman Drew Doughty has some ideas. the Kings had a chance to wrap up the Stanley Cup the last two games but failed to do so.
During today’s media availability, Doughty says playing at home in Game 4 proved to be more than a bit distracting.
“I think a lot of us before Game 4 were distracted with family members and friends, the Cup coming in the building,” Doughty said.
“A lot of things we have to put aside. Family always comes first for everyone, but at this point of the year, the team has to come first.”
That might sound like a cold, harsh reality but remember that this Kings team had taken to staying in a hotel while at home, too. Doughty says they’ve learned a lesson through this.
“We realize a lot of us didn’t play at our potential in Game 4. We were nervous, worried about other things. All of us in the room were kind of frustrated that we were thinking about things ahead of time. Darryl made sure that wasn’t going to happen this time. We’ll be well-prepared for Game 6.”
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 135
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)