Jun 10, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
The last we saw of Georges Laraque in the NHL came in the 2009-10 season with the Montreal Canadiens. Since then he’s dropped the gloves in the movie “Goon” duking it out with Seann William Scott and become an activist in Canada.
Now, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, Laraque wants to make his return to the league and it sounds like he’ll take just about anything anyone will give him.
“At my age I wouldn’t expect to play every game and if I went from nine minutes a game to four or five, that’s fine. I could be a veteran role player. I can’t see how a team could turn me down with those terms if they want toughness. I want to end on my own terms and I have something to prove. I’m going to be so motivated to play again,” he said.
Laraque is 35-years-old and if you haven’t noticed, enforcers are starting to fade out of the game. Laraque says he’d love to return to Edmonton because his kids are there, but with Ben Eager in place already, there might not be a place for him.
As Laraque says, he’ll take whatever someone is willing to give him and he’d play for the league minimum. Ending his career on his own terms could be inspiration from how Nicklas Lidstrom decided to hang ’em up but that’s the last time you’ll see those two mentioned in the same sentence.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 47
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)