Jun 10, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
The last we saw of Georges Laraque in the NHL came in the 2009-10 season with the Montreal Canadiens. Since then he’s dropped the gloves in the movie “Goon” duking it out with Seann William Scott and become an activist in Canada.
Now, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, Laraque wants to make his return to the league and it sounds like he’ll take just about anything anyone will give him.
“At my age I wouldn’t expect to play every game and if I went from nine minutes a game to four or five, that’s fine. I could be a veteran role player. I can’t see how a team could turn me down with those terms if they want toughness. I want to end on my own terms and I have something to prove. I’m going to be so motivated to play again,” he said.
Laraque is 35-years-old and if you haven’t noticed, enforcers are starting to fade out of the game. Laraque says he’d love to return to Edmonton because his kids are there, but with Ben Eager in place already, there might not be a place for him.
As Laraque says, he’ll take whatever someone is willing to give him and he’d play for the league minimum. Ending his career on his own terms could be inspiration from how Nicklas Lidstrom decided to hang ’em up but that’s the last time you’ll see those two mentioned in the same sentence.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)