Jun 10, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
The last we saw of Georges Laraque in the NHL came in the 2009-10 season with the Montreal Canadiens. Since then he’s dropped the gloves in the movie “Goon” duking it out with Seann William Scott and become an activist in Canada.
Now, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, Laraque wants to make his return to the league and it sounds like he’ll take just about anything anyone will give him.
“At my age I wouldn’t expect to play every game and if I went from nine minutes a game to four or five, that’s fine. I could be a veteran role player. I can’t see how a team could turn me down with those terms if they want toughness. I want to end on my own terms and I have something to prove. I’m going to be so motivated to play again,” he said.
Laraque is 35-years-old and if you haven’t noticed, enforcers are starting to fade out of the game. Laraque says he’d love to return to Edmonton because his kids are there, but with Ben Eager in place already, there might not be a place for him.
As Laraque says, he’ll take whatever someone is willing to give him and he’d play for the league minimum. Ending his career on his own terms could be inspiration from how Nicklas Lidstrom decided to hang ‘em up but that’s the last time you’ll see those two mentioned in the same sentence.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)