Jun 10, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
The last we saw of Georges Laraque in the NHL came in the 2009-10 season with the Montreal Canadiens. Since then he’s dropped the gloves in the movie “Goon” duking it out with Seann William Scott and become an activist in Canada.
Now, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports, Laraque wants to make his return to the league and it sounds like he’ll take just about anything anyone will give him.
“At my age I wouldn’t expect to play every game and if I went from nine minutes a game to four or five, that’s fine. I could be a veteran role player. I can’t see how a team could turn me down with those terms if they want toughness. I want to end on my own terms and I have something to prove. I’m going to be so motivated to play again,” he said.
Laraque is 35-years-old and if you haven’t noticed, enforcers are starting to fade out of the game. Laraque says he’d love to return to Edmonton because his kids are there, but with Ben Eager in place already, there might not be a place for him.
As Laraque says, he’ll take whatever someone is willing to give him and he’d play for the league minimum. Ending his career on his own terms could be inspiration from how Nicklas Lidstrom decided to hang ’em up but that’s the last time you’ll see those two mentioned in the same sentence.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 10
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 14
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 49
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)