Jun 10, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
If there’s any goalie who can speak about the differences between “The Dead Puck Era” and the post-lockout changes, it’s probably Martin Brodeur. His career essentially covers both spans, give or take.
While it’s perfectly reasonable to state that obstruction and low-scoring games are creeping back into the picture – just look at how crucial the first goal has been in this series and many other ones – it’s still a more wide-open game now. Brodeur told the press that this “new era” made a 3-0 deficit seem a little less dire.
“Well, I think hockey’s changed in the new era. I think the way the game is called by referees, they let guys skate … [it] really makes it anybody’s ballgame,” Brodeur said. “There’s always time, regardless if you’re down 1-0, 2-0. We’ve done it to ourselves. I think you have to play 60 minutes of hockey now. You can’t just coast like you used to.”
Sure, Brodeur’s quote probably would have made more sense from, say, 2006-08, but the mindset might still be there. Either way, the Devils are just two coast-free contests away from completing the kind of comeback that would transcend style and rule changes alike.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)