Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings carried chunks of the play in Game 5, but the New Jersey Devils – and particularly Martin Brodeur – were up to the task. They extended the 2012 Stanley Cup finals to a sixth game with a 2-1 win tonight, inspiring waves of interesting commentary in perhaps the most entertaining contest of the series. Let’s take a look at what was said about the Devils’ big win on Twitter tonight.
Why the Devils won/Kings lost
For many, the story was as much about the Kings’ best players not coming through as it was about Brodeur’s brilliance. That’s the argument Joe Pelletier made and Joe Haggerty goes a step further by singling out Anze Kopitar.
“Anybody seen Anze Kopitar tonight? Yeah, me neither.”
Pretty hard not to pick on the Kings’ biggest star, even if he’s been outstanding for most of the postseason. Frozen Royalty offered an explanation that’s probably even more unsettling for Los Angeles, though.
“Devils have neutralized the Kings’ forecheck and won the vast majority of loose puck battles. That’s why they’re winning.”
Uh oh. Ivan Makarov sees a resemblance to the first 60 games of the Kings’ season, which isn’t going to make any Kings fans happy.
Ultimately, Brodeur’s age-defiant work has been the biggest story of the series and was the headline-grabber in Game 5 to boot. Cam Charron’s one-liner captured Brodeur’s great work in the most amusing way.
“Martin Brodeur could save the publishing industry the way he’s playing.”
“This. Pace. Is. Nuts. Ups, downs, momentum bouncing around like the puck, just fantastic stuff.”
If all the other developments didn’t upset the stomachs of Kings fans enough, Scotty Wazz’s comparison after a Jonathan Quick puckhandling flub should just about do it.
“Also, looked like Quick was channeling Roman Cechmanek on that one.”
Anyway, that’s a quick collection of some of the best quips and observations from Game 5. We’ll provide another gallery of good gags on Monday … and perhaps Wednesday as well?
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)