Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings carried chunks of the play in Game 5, but the New Jersey Devils – and particularly Martin Brodeur – were up to the task. They extended the 2012 Stanley Cup finals to a sixth game with a 2-1 win tonight, inspiring waves of interesting commentary in perhaps the most entertaining contest of the series. Let’s take a look at what was said about the Devils’ big win on Twitter tonight.
Why the Devils won/Kings lost
For many, the story was as much about the Kings’ best players not coming through as it was about Brodeur’s brilliance. That’s the argument Joe Pelletier made and Joe Haggerty goes a step further by singling out Anze Kopitar.
“Anybody seen Anze Kopitar tonight? Yeah, me neither.”
Pretty hard not to pick on the Kings’ biggest star, even if he’s been outstanding for most of the postseason. Frozen Royalty offered an explanation that’s probably even more unsettling for Los Angeles, though.
“Devils have neutralized the Kings’ forecheck and won the vast majority of loose puck battles. That’s why they’re winning.”
Uh oh. Ivan Makarov sees a resemblance to the first 60 games of the Kings’ season, which isn’t going to make any Kings fans happy.
Ultimately, Brodeur’s age-defiant work has been the biggest story of the series and was the headline-grabber in Game 5 to boot. Cam Charron’s one-liner captured Brodeur’s great work in the most amusing way.
“Martin Brodeur could save the publishing industry the way he’s playing.”
“This. Pace. Is. Nuts. Ups, downs, momentum bouncing around like the puck, just fantastic stuff.”
If all the other developments didn’t upset the stomachs of Kings fans enough, Scotty Wazz’s comparison after a Jonathan Quick puckhandling flub should just about do it.
“Also, looked like Quick was channeling Roman Cechmanek on that one.”
Anyway, that’s a quick collection of some of the best quips and observations from Game 5. We’ll provide another gallery of good gags on Monday … and perhaps Wednesday as well?
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)