Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings carried chunks of the play in Game 5, but the New Jersey Devils – and particularly Martin Brodeur – were up to the task. They extended the 2012 Stanley Cup finals to a sixth game with a 2-1 win tonight, inspiring waves of interesting commentary in perhaps the most entertaining contest of the series. Let’s take a look at what was said about the Devils’ big win on Twitter tonight.
Why the Devils won/Kings lost
For many, the story was as much about the Kings’ best players not coming through as it was about Brodeur’s brilliance. That’s the argument Joe Pelletier made and Joe Haggerty goes a step further by singling out Anze Kopitar.
“Anybody seen Anze Kopitar tonight? Yeah, me neither.”
Pretty hard not to pick on the Kings’ biggest star, even if he’s been outstanding for most of the postseason. Frozen Royalty offered an explanation that’s probably even more unsettling for Los Angeles, though.
“Devils have neutralized the Kings’ forecheck and won the vast majority of loose puck battles. That’s why they’re winning.”
Uh oh. Ivan Makarov sees a resemblance to the first 60 games of the Kings’ season, which isn’t going to make any Kings fans happy.
Ultimately, Brodeur’s age-defiant work has been the biggest story of the series and was the headline-grabber in Game 5 to boot. Cam Charron’s one-liner captured Brodeur’s great work in the most amusing way.
“Martin Brodeur could save the publishing industry the way he’s playing.”
“This. Pace. Is. Nuts. Ups, downs, momentum bouncing around like the puck, just fantastic stuff.”
If all the other developments didn’t upset the stomachs of Kings fans enough, Scotty Wazz’s comparison after a Jonathan Quick puckhandling flub should just about do it.
“Also, looked like Quick was channeling Roman Cechmanek on that one.”
Anyway, that’s a quick collection of some of the best quips and observations from Game 5. We’ll provide another gallery of good gags on Monday … and perhaps Wednesday as well?
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)