Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings carried chunks of the play in Game 5, but the New Jersey Devils – and particularly Martin Brodeur – were up to the task. They extended the 2012 Stanley Cup finals to a sixth game with a 2-1 win tonight, inspiring waves of interesting commentary in perhaps the most entertaining contest of the series. Let’s take a look at what was said about the Devils’ big win on Twitter tonight.
Why the Devils won/Kings lost
For many, the story was as much about the Kings’ best players not coming through as it was about Brodeur’s brilliance. That’s the argument Joe Pelletier made and Joe Haggerty goes a step further by singling out Anze Kopitar.
“Anybody seen Anze Kopitar tonight? Yeah, me neither.”
Pretty hard not to pick on the Kings’ biggest star, even if he’s been outstanding for most of the postseason. Frozen Royalty offered an explanation that’s probably even more unsettling for Los Angeles, though.
“Devils have neutralized the Kings’ forecheck and won the vast majority of loose puck battles. That’s why they’re winning.”
Uh oh. Ivan Makarov sees a resemblance to the first 60 games of the Kings’ season, which isn’t going to make any Kings fans happy.
Ultimately, Brodeur’s age-defiant work has been the biggest story of the series and was the headline-grabber in Game 5 to boot. Cam Charron’s one-liner captured Brodeur’s great work in the most amusing way.
“Martin Brodeur could save the publishing industry the way he’s playing.”
“This. Pace. Is. Nuts. Ups, downs, momentum bouncing around like the puck, just fantastic stuff.”
If all the other developments didn’t upset the stomachs of Kings fans enough, Scotty Wazz’s comparison after a Jonathan Quick puckhandling flub should just about do it.
“Also, looked like Quick was channeling Roman Cechmanek on that one.”
Anyway, that’s a quick collection of some of the best quips and observations from Game 5. We’ll provide another gallery of good gags on Monday … and perhaps Wednesday as well?
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)