Jun 9, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
Lyle Richardson passes along an interesting potential development: Elliotte Friedman reports that Winnipeg Jets goalie – and restricted free agent – Ondrej Pavelec might be in talks with a KHL team. Friedman hints at a potential “one-year, big money offer.”
While the specifics aren’t clear just yet, it makes some sense that the 24-year-old goalie may consider going overseas. Sure, there’s a chance that Pavelec could be a wild card in a thin netminding market, yet his RFA status and up-and-down results indicate that he might not garner a particularly lucrative offer in the NHL.
The Jets might end up being the NHL team that would want him the most, anyway, but it’s reasonable to think that a KHL team could theoretically muster a heftier offer. Pavelec might view it as an opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds, even; he could theoretically garner bigger money in the short-term in the KHL before returning to a higher level of competition once he’s that much closer to the unrestricted age of 27.
Stay tuned for more on an intriguing possibility for an under-the-radar goalie.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11