Jun 9, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
Lyle Richardson passes along an interesting potential development: Elliotte Friedman reports that Winnipeg Jets goalie – and restricted free agent – Ondrej Pavelec might be in talks with a KHL team. Friedman hints at a potential “one-year, big money offer.”
While the specifics aren’t clear just yet, it makes some sense that the 24-year-old goalie may consider going overseas. Sure, there’s a chance that Pavelec could be a wild card in a thin netminding market, yet his RFA status and up-and-down results indicate that he might not garner a particularly lucrative offer in the NHL.
The Jets might end up being the NHL team that would want him the most, anyway, but it’s reasonable to think that a KHL team could theoretically muster a heftier offer. Pavelec might view it as an opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds, even; he could theoretically garner bigger money in the short-term in the KHL before returning to a higher level of competition once he’s that much closer to the unrestricted age of 27.
Stay tuned for more on an intriguing possibility for an under-the-radar goalie.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)