Jun 9, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
Lyle Richardson passes along an interesting potential development: Elliotte Friedman reports that Winnipeg Jets goalie – and restricted free agent – Ondrej Pavelec might be in talks with a KHL team. Friedman hints at a potential “one-year, big money offer.”
While the specifics aren’t clear just yet, it makes some sense that the 24-year-old goalie may consider going overseas. Sure, there’s a chance that Pavelec could be a wild card in a thin netminding market, yet his RFA status and up-and-down results indicate that he might not garner a particularly lucrative offer in the NHL.
The Jets might end up being the NHL team that would want him the most, anyway, but it’s reasonable to think that a KHL team could theoretically muster a heftier offer. Pavelec might view it as an opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds, even; he could theoretically garner bigger money in the short-term in the KHL before returning to a higher level of competition once he’s that much closer to the unrestricted age of 27.
Stay tuned for more on an intriguing possibility for an under-the-radar goalie.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)