Jun 9, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
Lyle Richardson passes along an interesting potential development: Elliotte Friedman reports that Winnipeg Jets goalie – and restricted free agent – Ondrej Pavelec might be in talks with a KHL team. Friedman hints at a potential “one-year, big money offer.”
While the specifics aren’t clear just yet, it makes some sense that the 24-year-old goalie may consider going overseas. Sure, there’s a chance that Pavelec could be a wild card in a thin netminding market, yet his RFA status and up-and-down results indicate that he might not garner a particularly lucrative offer in the NHL.
The Jets might end up being the NHL team that would want him the most, anyway, but it’s reasonable to think that a KHL team could theoretically muster a heftier offer. Pavelec might view it as an opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds, even; he could theoretically garner bigger money in the short-term in the KHL before returning to a higher level of competition once he’s that much closer to the unrestricted age of 27.
Stay tuned for more on an intriguing possibility for an under-the-radar goalie.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)