Jun 9, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals got off to a fast and intense start. Halfway through the first period, Matt Greene delivered a vicious hit to Patrik Elias, which sent the Devils’ forward to the ice. Play stopped as Elias was examined, but fortunately he was able to skate to the bench on his own strength. Not only did he stay in the game, but he even got into a shouting match with the Los Angeles Kings.
Check out the video below to see the hit and find out what Elias said:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Greene didn’t get a penalty on the hit, but it wasn’t long before the Kings’ Willie Mitchell got charged with interference. For the first time in this series, the Devils capitalized on their power-play opportunity.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)