Jun 9, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals got off to a fast and intense start. Halfway through the first period, Matt Greene delivered a vicious hit to Patrik Elias, which sent the Devils’ forward to the ice. Play stopped as Elias was examined, but fortunately he was able to skate to the bench on his own strength. Not only did he stay in the game, but he even got into a shouting match with the Los Angeles Kings.
Check out the video below to see the hit and find out what Elias said:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Greene didn’t get a penalty on the hit, but it wasn’t long before the Kings’ Willie Mitchell got charged with interference. For the first time in this series, the Devils capitalized on their power-play opportunity.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6