Jun 9, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals got off to a fast and intense start. Halfway through the first period, Matt Greene delivered a vicious hit to Patrik Elias, which sent the Devils’ forward to the ice. Play stopped as Elias was examined, but fortunately he was able to skate to the bench on his own strength. Not only did he stay in the game, but he even got into a shouting match with the Los Angeles Kings.
Check out the video below to see the hit and find out what Elias said:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Greene didn’t get a penalty on the hit, but it wasn’t long before the Kings’ Willie Mitchell got charged with interference. For the first time in this series, the Devils capitalized on their power-play opportunity.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)