Jun 9, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals got off to a fast and intense start. Halfway through the first period, Matt Greene delivered a vicious hit to Patrik Elias, which sent the Devils’ forward to the ice. Play stopped as Elias was examined, but fortunately he was able to skate to the bench on his own strength. Not only did he stay in the game, but he even got into a shouting match with the Los Angeles Kings.
Check out the video below to see the hit and find out what Elias said:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Greene didn’t get a penalty on the hit, but it wasn’t long before the Kings’ Willie Mitchell got charged with interference. For the first time in this series, the Devils capitalized on their power-play opportunity.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22