Jun 9, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals got off to a fast and intense start. Halfway through the first period, Matt Greene delivered a vicious hit to Patrik Elias, which sent the Devils’ forward to the ice. Play stopped as Elias was examined, but fortunately he was able to skate to the bench on his own strength. Not only did he stay in the game, but he even got into a shouting match with the Los Angeles Kings.
Check out the video below to see the hit and find out what Elias said:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Greene didn’t get a penalty on the hit, but it wasn’t long before the Kings’ Willie Mitchell got charged with interference. For the first time in this series, the Devils capitalized on their power-play opportunity.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)