Jun 9, 2012, 11:42 PM EST
It’s no secret that Dustin Brown has been struggling offensively in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Ryan Dadoun touched on it in this post and the Los Angeles Times addressed it before Game 5. Yet John Hoven probably points out the most glaring “stat” that highlights Brown’s struggles: the Kings’ captain wasn’t on the ice for the final four minutes of the game.
In that span, the Kings were unable to tie the contest, ultimately losing to the New Jersey Devils 2-1 to push the series to a sixth game.
To give you some context regarding the troubling snub, here are the forwards who played during the final four minutes:
- Mike Richards
- Anze Kopitar
- Simon Gagne
- Justin Williams
- Trevor Lewis(!)
- Dustin Penner
- Jarret Stoll
- Dwight King
- Jeff Carter
Yup, so nine forwards received at least one shift during the final moments of the game, but Brown wasn’t one of them. I know Lewis received some rave reviews for how hard he played in Game 5, yet it only underlines the fact that Brown didn’t play during the frantic final moments.
We’ll stay tuned for some kind of comment from the team or its captain, yet if this Arash Madani comment is any indication, we’re unlikely to hear much about it.
- Trade: Rangers land Keith Yandle 0
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 18
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (129)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)