Jun 9, 2012, 11:42 PM EST
It’s no secret that Dustin Brown has been struggling offensively in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Ryan Dadoun touched on it in this post and the Los Angeles Times addressed it before Game 5. Yet John Hoven probably points out the most glaring “stat” that highlights Brown’s struggles: the Kings’ captain wasn’t on the ice for the final four minutes of the game.
In that span, the Kings were unable to tie the contest, ultimately losing to the New Jersey Devils 2-1 to push the series to a sixth game.
To give you some context regarding the troubling snub, here are the forwards who played during the final four minutes:
- Mike Richards
- Anze Kopitar
- Simon Gagne
- Justin Williams
- Trevor Lewis(!)
- Dustin Penner
- Jarret Stoll
- Dwight King
- Jeff Carter
Yup, so nine forwards received at least one shift during the final moments of the game, but Brown wasn’t one of them. I know Lewis received some rave reviews for how hard he played in Game 5, yet it only underlines the fact that Brown didn’t play during the frantic final moments.
We’ll stay tuned for some kind of comment from the team or its captain, yet if this Arash Madani comment is any indication, we’re unlikely to hear much about it.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 36
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)