Jun 9, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but now it’s confirmed: Jason Blake and Niklas Hagman will have to find new employers. The two veterans are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this summer and the Anaheim Ducks plan to move on without them.
Both are likely to take significant pay cuts in 2012-13 – if they get signed at all.
Blake is coming off of a five-year, $20 million contract that he never lived up to. He ended up with just seven goals and 12 points in 45 games this season. He’ll turn 39 in September, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he ends up retiring over the summer. That being said, he might bounce back as an adequate bottom-six forward and veteran presence if he can stay healthy.
Hagman is coming off of a four-year, $12 million contract and he only declined over the life of that deal. He ended up with just nine goals and 23 points in 71 contests in 2011-12 – a far cry from his back-to-back-to-back 20-plus goal campaigns. A team might be willing to roll the dice on Hagman in the hopes that he’ll bounce back, but only if he’s relatively inexpensive.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)