Jun 8, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
With the New Jersey Devils down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, Devils coach Pete DeBoer needed to decide if he was going to make any significant roster changes. In terms of defenseman, he had Henrik Tallinder ready and waiting.
Tallinder had fully recovered from a blood clot in his leg, but he was potentially rusty after missing almost five months of playing time. The day before Game 4, DeBoer ultimately decided to go with defenseman Peter Harrold and Anton Volchenkov over Tallinder.
DeBoer went to deliver the news to Tallinder, who took the opportunity to makes his case to the Devils coach.
“Really, where I had a change of heart was in his reaction,” DeBoer said. “It wasn’t negative. He was just adamant he was ready and really thought that he could help and when a player puts his neck on the line like that I got a real comfort level, knowing he’s a veteran guy and knowing how good he was at the top of his game for us as a top two guy that he could help us.”
The move paid off. DeBoer said that Tallinder was “outstanding” and provided “a big boost” for the Devils in their 3-1 victory on Wednesday.
He is projected to remain in the lineup for Game 5 on Saturday.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)