Jun 8, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
With the New Jersey Devils down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, Devils coach Pete DeBoer needed to decide if he was going to make any significant roster changes. In terms of defenseman, he had Henrik Tallinder ready and waiting.
Tallinder had fully recovered from a blood clot in his leg, but he was potentially rusty after missing almost five months of playing time. The day before Game 4, DeBoer ultimately decided to go with defenseman Peter Harrold and Anton Volchenkov over Tallinder.
DeBoer went to deliver the news to Tallinder, who took the opportunity to makes his case to the Devils coach.
“Really, where I had a change of heart was in his reaction,” DeBoer said. “It wasn’t negative. He was just adamant he was ready and really thought that he could help and when a player puts his neck on the line like that I got a real comfort level, knowing he’s a veteran guy and knowing how good he was at the top of his game for us as a top two guy that he could help us.”
The move paid off. DeBoer said that Tallinder was “outstanding” and provided “a big boost” for the Devils in their 3-1 victory on Wednesday.
He is projected to remain in the lineup for Game 5 on Saturday.
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 1
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 14
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights