Jun 8, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Michel Therrien is getting ready for his second stint as the Montreal Canadiens head coach. Subban hadn’t even started his OHL career when Therrien and the Canadiens parted ways the first time, but he’s nevertheless encouraged by the signing.
“This is a part of the process — the part of growing a championship team, building a winning team,” said Subban. “He’s got the experience at this level obviously, coaching in Montreal and working with great players.”
One of Therrien’s jobs will be helping Subban take the next step towards stardom. He’s already established himself as a great defenseman, but he still hasn’t reached his potential.
“I’m looking forward to see what I can learn from him, he’s got a lot to offer and it’s going to be up to me to soak it all in and be there like a sponge and soak it all in,” said Subban.
Of course, before the learning process can begin, the Montreal Canadiens need to sign Subban to a new contract. Subban is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)