Jun 8, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Michel Therrien is getting ready for his second stint as the Montreal Canadiens head coach. Subban hadn’t even started his OHL career when Therrien and the Canadiens parted ways the first time, but he’s nevertheless encouraged by the signing.
“This is a part of the process — the part of growing a championship team, building a winning team,” said Subban. “He’s got the experience at this level obviously, coaching in Montreal and working with great players.”
One of Therrien’s jobs will be helping Subban take the next step towards stardom. He’s already established himself as a great defenseman, but he still hasn’t reached his potential.
“I’m looking forward to see what I can learn from him, he’s got a lot to offer and it’s going to be up to me to soak it all in and be there like a sponge and soak it all in,” said Subban.
Of course, before the learning process can begin, the Montreal Canadiens need to sign Subban to a new contract. Subban is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)