Jun 8, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk has been mostly a missing man in the Stanley Cup finals. He finally found his way to the score sheet in Game 4 thanks to his empty-net goal to give the Devils a 3-1 victory.
After the team’s practice this morning, Kovalchuk was asked about whether his goal would be something to spark his line into getting things going in the series. Kovalchuk took things in a different direction.
“I don’t really care about that, I care about the win,” Kovalchuk said. “It was a big win two nights ago. Our third line, er Henrique’s line they gave us a huge goal. You do what it takes. This time of year it doesn’t matter who scores the goal you just want to score more than the other team.”
Kovalchuk is saying the right things as far as the team is concerned, but he should be worried about goals as he’s the centerpiece of the Devils’ terrible power play. Kovalchuk had 10 power play goals in the regular season and has five more in the playoffs.
In the finals, however, he’s been dominated by the Kings’ penalty kill. If they Devils are going to pull off the impossible, Kovalchuk finding the net, with the man advantage or not, is how it’s going to happen.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (84)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)