Jun 8, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk has been mostly a missing man in the Stanley Cup finals. He finally found his way to the score sheet in Game 4 thanks to his empty-net goal to give the Devils a 3-1 victory.
After the team’s practice this morning, Kovalchuk was asked about whether his goal would be something to spark his line into getting things going in the series. Kovalchuk took things in a different direction.
“I don’t really care about that, I care about the win,” Kovalchuk said. “It was a big win two nights ago. Our third line, er Henrique’s line they gave us a huge goal. You do what it takes. This time of year it doesn’t matter who scores the goal you just want to score more than the other team.”
Kovalchuk is saying the right things as far as the team is concerned, but he should be worried about goals as he’s the centerpiece of the Devils’ terrible power play. Kovalchuk had 10 power play goals in the regular season and has five more in the playoffs.
In the finals, however, he’s been dominated by the Kings’ penalty kill. If they Devils are going to pull off the impossible, Kovalchuk finding the net, with the man advantage or not, is how it’s going to happen.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (52)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)