Jun 8, 2012, 3:01 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk has been mostly a missing man in the Stanley Cup finals. He finally found his way to the score sheet in Game 4 thanks to his empty-net goal to give the Devils a 3-1 victory.
After the team’s practice this morning, Kovalchuk was asked about whether his goal would be something to spark his line into getting things going in the series. Kovalchuk took things in a different direction.
“I don’t really care about that, I care about the win,” Kovalchuk said. “It was a big win two nights ago. Our third line, er Henrique’s line they gave us a huge goal. You do what it takes. This time of year it doesn’t matter who scores the goal you just want to score more than the other team.”
Kovalchuk is saying the right things as far as the team is concerned, but he should be worried about goals as he’s the centerpiece of the Devils’ terrible power play. Kovalchuk had 10 power play goals in the regular season and has five more in the playoffs.
In the finals, however, he’s been dominated by the Kings’ penalty kill. If they Devils are going to pull off the impossible, Kovalchuk finding the net, with the man advantage or not, is how it’s going to happen.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)