Jun 8, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
From the ESPN Stats and Information Group comes this note:
The Kings can clinch the Stanley Cup in New Jersey tomorrow, which would mark the fifth straight season in which the Cup was clinched on the road.
That would be the first time since the NHL took control of the Cup in 1927 that five straight Cups were clinched on the road.
Only twice before this current run has it happened four straight times (1989-92 and 1975-78).
The previous runs of four, in case you were curious:
1975: Philadelphia wins Game 6 in Buffalo
1976: Montreal wins Game 4 in Philadelphia
1977: Montreal wins Game 4 in Boston
1978: Montreal wins Game 6 in Boston
1989: Calgary wins Game 6 in Montreal
1990: Edmonton wins Game 5 in Boston
1991: Pittsburgh wins Game 6 in Minnesota
1992: Pittsburgh wins Game 4 in Chicago
The current streak started in 2008 when Detroit won Game 6 in Pittsburgh, followed by Pittsburgh winning Game 7 in Detroit (2009), Chicago winning Game 6 in Philadelphia (2010) and Boston winning Game 7 in Vancouver (2011).
Anaheim still holds the distinction of being the last team to hoist Lord Stanley’s Mug on home ice. The Ducks defeated the Senators in Game 5 of the 2007 Stanley Cup final at the Honda Center.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)