Jun 8, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
From the ESPN Stats and Information Group comes this note:
The Kings can clinch the Stanley Cup in New Jersey tomorrow, which would mark the fifth straight season in which the Cup was clinched on the road.
That would be the first time since the NHL took control of the Cup in 1927 that five straight Cups were clinched on the road.
Only twice before this current run has it happened four straight times (1989-92 and 1975-78).
The previous runs of four, in case you were curious:
1975: Philadelphia wins Game 6 in Buffalo
1976: Montreal wins Game 4 in Philadelphia
1977: Montreal wins Game 4 in Boston
1978: Montreal wins Game 6 in Boston
1989: Calgary wins Game 6 in Montreal
1990: Edmonton wins Game 5 in Boston
1991: Pittsburgh wins Game 6 in Minnesota
1992: Pittsburgh wins Game 4 in Chicago
The current streak started in 2008 when Detroit won Game 6 in Pittsburgh, followed by Pittsburgh winning Game 7 in Detroit (2009), Chicago winning Game 6 in Philadelphia (2010) and Boston winning Game 7 in Vancouver (2011).
Anaheim still holds the distinction of being the last team to hoist Lord Stanley’s Mug on home ice. The Ducks defeated the Senators in Game 5 of the 2007 Stanley Cup final at the Honda Center.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)