Jun 8, 2012, 5:33 PM EST
Simon Gagne‘s appearance in the Stanley Cup finals was a surprise given his concussion struggles this season.
It wasn’t the first concussion the 32-year-old’s career — it’s believed he suffered three in five months while playing in Philadelphia — but it might’ve been the most severe, costing him 47 regular season and 14 playoff games.
Now healthy and with two games under his belt, Gagne is a good resource in teaching other NHLers about concussions and recovery, and he’s hopeful the player’s union will take it a step further in developing a peer support network.
“I think we’re working on a plan,” Gagne said after Friday’s practice. “The NHLPA will have a group guys that will be able to, if a guy gets that type of injury, reach out to a list of guys that went through it and try to help them go through something like that.
“For guys that haven’t had that type of injury it’s hard. Talking to a bunch of guys this year that never had one, asking me questions about it — they had no clue.”
Gagne dealt with his latest injury by reaching out to teammate and fellow concussion-sufferer Willie Mitchell. Having someone to talk to helped him get over his own worries and concerns.
“It’s always good to have people around that went through it,” Gagne said. “It was not my first one so it wasn’t too bad, I knew what to expect. But for the guys that go through it the first time, it’s scary.”
“You don’t know what to expect and you want to get back and play but some guy is going to make a mistake and go in 95-percent and that’s not what you want.
“I think you need to be really honest with yourself and if you’re not, you’re going to pay for it.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)