Jun 8, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
In an effort to keep the NHL in the city of Glendale, the city council approved a 20-year lease with prospective Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison. The move is expected to cost the city about $300 million over 20 years.
The council ultimately approved the deal by a 4-2 vote, with mayor Elaine Scruggs being one of the two against the measure.
Jamison’s investment group will receive $15 million annually to run the arena. At least, that’s how this will work if the deal stands.
The taxpayer watchdog Goldwater Institute is expected to challenge the deal and might be able to void the vote. As you might recall, the Goldwater Institute stood in the way of previous attempts to find an owner for the Coyotes.
On top of that, Jamison still has to put together the financing and money needed to complete the purchase.
So this isn’t over for the Phoenix Coyotes and given how many curveballs we’ve already seen over the course of this lengthy saga, anything is possible. Still, this is a step towards Jamison potentially owning the team.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 12
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)