Jun 8, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
In an effort to keep the NHL in the city of Glendale, the city council approved a 20-year lease with prospective Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison. The move is expected to cost the city about $300 million over 20 years.
The council ultimately approved the deal by a 4-2 vote, with mayor Elaine Scruggs being one of the two against the measure.
Jamison’s investment group will receive $15 million annually to run the arena. At least, that’s how this will work if the deal stands.
The taxpayer watchdog Goldwater Institute is expected to challenge the deal and might be able to void the vote. As you might recall, the Goldwater Institute stood in the way of previous attempts to find an owner for the Coyotes.
On top of that, Jamison still has to put together the financing and money needed to complete the purchase.
So this isn’t over for the Phoenix Coyotes and given how many curveballs we’ve already seen over the course of this lengthy saga, anything is possible. Still, this is a step towards Jamison potentially owning the team.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 0
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 39
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)