Jun 8, 2012, 1:32 PM EST
Glendale council is free to hold today’s vote on its proposed 20-year lease with the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes that would have the cash-strapped city that owns Jobing.com Arena commit $300 million over the course of the agreement in arena-management fees.
The taxpayer watchdog Goldwater Institute wanted the vote blocked to allow more time to review the deal after it accused the city of failing to release public records in a timely fashion. However, the judge denied Goldwater’s request, ruling the court doesn’t have that authority.
This might not be the end of it though. (Is it ever?) The two sides could be back in court Monday, as the judge conceded Glendale didn’t provide the records on time, leaving Goldwater the opportunity to request a voiding of the vote after it’s occurred.
“We absolutely will challenge the vote if it is passed,” Goldwater attorney Carrie Ann Sitren said, as per Phoenix Business Journal.
(Image via ansam518.com)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)