Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
There was more reshuffling in Calgary on Thursday as the club announced associate coach Craig Hartsburg — Brent Sutter’s former right-hand man — would be relieved of his duties.
The move didn’t come as much of a surprise given 1) Hartsburg was a Sutter guy and 2) Sutter has been replaced as head coach by Bob Hartley.
“I had a couple of conversations with Bob. As an older coach in the league, I kinda sensed that maybe it’s the best situation for him having his own guys. I’ve been in his shoes,” Hartsburg told the Calgary Herald. “He’s been in that situation where Bob is right now, so he understands.”
Hartley had already added former Colorado assistant Jacques Cloutier to his staff and is rumored to be pursuing Eric Veilleux, who played for Hartley in Laval (QMJHL) and Hershey (AHL) and recently led Shawinigan to the Memorial Cup.
If history suggests anything, it’s that Hartsburg won’t be out of work for long. He’s essentially been a head or assistant/associate coach since 1990, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia to Guelph to Chicago to Anaheim to Sault Ste. Marie, back to Philadelphia, back to Sault Ste. Marie, then to Ottawa, Everett and finally, Calgary.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)