Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
There was more reshuffling in Calgary on Thursday as the club announced associate coach Craig Hartsburg — Brent Sutter’s former right-hand man — would be relieved of his duties.
The move didn’t come as much of a surprise given 1) Hartsburg was a Sutter guy and 2) Sutter has been replaced as head coach by Bob Hartley.
“I had a couple of conversations with Bob. As an older coach in the league, I kinda sensed that maybe it’s the best situation for him having his own guys. I’ve been in his shoes,” Hartsburg told the Calgary Herald. “He’s been in that situation where Bob is right now, so he understands.”
Hartley had already added former Colorado assistant Jacques Cloutier to his staff and is rumored to be pursuing Eric Veilleux, who played for Hartley in Laval (QMJHL) and Hershey (AHL) and recently led Shawinigan to the Memorial Cup.
If history suggests anything, it’s that Hartsburg won’t be out of work for long. He’s essentially been a head or assistant/associate coach since 1990, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia to Guelph to Chicago to Anaheim to Sault Ste. Marie, back to Philadelphia, back to Sault Ste. Marie, then to Ottawa, Everett and finally, Calgary.
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 13
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming