Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
There was more reshuffling in Calgary on Thursday as the club announced associate coach Craig Hartsburg — Brent Sutter’s former right-hand man — would be relieved of his duties.
The move didn’t come as much of a surprise given 1) Hartsburg was a Sutter guy and 2) Sutter has been replaced as head coach by Bob Hartley.
“I had a couple of conversations with Bob. As an older coach in the league, I kinda sensed that maybe it’s the best situation for him having his own guys. I’ve been in his shoes,” Hartsburg told the Calgary Herald. “He’s been in that situation where Bob is right now, so he understands.”
Hartley had already added former Colorado assistant Jacques Cloutier to his staff and is rumored to be pursuing Eric Veilleux, who played for Hartley in Laval (QMJHL) and Hershey (AHL) and recently led Shawinigan to the Memorial Cup.
If history suggests anything, it’s that Hartsburg won’t be out of work for long. He’s essentially been a head or assistant/associate coach since 1990, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia to Guelph to Chicago to Anaheim to Sault Ste. Marie, back to Philadelphia, back to Sault Ste. Marie, then to Ottawa, Everett and finally, Calgary.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 14
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)