Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
There was more reshuffling in Calgary on Thursday as the club announced associate coach Craig Hartsburg — Brent Sutter’s former right-hand man — would be relieved of his duties.
The move didn’t come as much of a surprise given 1) Hartsburg was a Sutter guy and 2) Sutter has been replaced as head coach by Bob Hartley.
“I had a couple of conversations with Bob. As an older coach in the league, I kinda sensed that maybe it’s the best situation for him having his own guys. I’ve been in his shoes,” Hartsburg told the Calgary Herald. “He’s been in that situation where Bob is right now, so he understands.”
Hartley had already added former Colorado assistant Jacques Cloutier to his staff and is rumored to be pursuing Eric Veilleux, who played for Hartley in Laval (QMJHL) and Hershey (AHL) and recently led Shawinigan to the Memorial Cup.
If history suggests anything, it’s that Hartsburg won’t be out of work for long. He’s essentially been a head or assistant/associate coach since 1990, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia to Guelph to Chicago to Anaheim to Sault Ste. Marie, back to Philadelphia, back to Sault Ste. Marie, then to Ottawa, Everett and finally, Calgary.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)