Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
There was more reshuffling in Calgary on Thursday as the club announced associate coach Craig Hartsburg — Brent Sutter’s former right-hand man — would be relieved of his duties.
The move didn’t come as much of a surprise given 1) Hartsburg was a Sutter guy and 2) Sutter has been replaced as head coach by Bob Hartley.
“I had a couple of conversations with Bob. As an older coach in the league, I kinda sensed that maybe it’s the best situation for him having his own guys. I’ve been in his shoes,” Hartsburg told the Calgary Herald. “He’s been in that situation where Bob is right now, so he understands.”
Hartley had already added former Colorado assistant Jacques Cloutier to his staff and is rumored to be pursuing Eric Veilleux, who played for Hartley in Laval (QMJHL) and Hershey (AHL) and recently led Shawinigan to the Memorial Cup.
If history suggests anything, it’s that Hartsburg won’t be out of work for long. He’s essentially been a head or assistant/associate coach since 1990, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia to Guelph to Chicago to Anaheim to Sault Ste. Marie, back to Philadelphia, back to Sault Ste. Marie, then to Ottawa, Everett and finally, Calgary.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)