Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM EST
The 1942 Leafs, the 1975 Islanders, the 2010 Flyers…and the 2012 Devils?
According to Peter DeBoer…sure, why not.
That was the message in advance of Saturday’s Stanley Cup finals Game 5 when reporters asked the Devils head coach about climbing out of a usually inescapable hole.
Only three teams in NHL history have rallied from an 0-3 series deficit — the other 164 have gone on to lose.
Q. So much written and talked about at the 0-3 hole. Now we know it’s one game. Having seen it happen in the last six, seven years, the Red Sox beating the Yankees, the Flyers coming back, does it make it more believable?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah, sure. Someone said the ’42 Leafs. You know it’s going to happen again. So why not us? I think that’s the approach. You’re not going to go 200 years without someone else doing it. So it’s been long enough, it might as well be us.
If there’s something DeBoer can hang his hat on, it’s that the Devils have been outstanding this postseason in the latter stages of their series. New Jersey is 9-1 in Games 4-7 — they went 3-1 against the Panthers, 2-0 against the Flyers, 3-0 against the Rangers and are now 1-0 against the Kings.
The Devils have also shown a remarkable ability to string together wins when it counts. They won two straight after falling behind 3-2 in the Florida series, won four straight after falling behind 1-0 in the Philly series and won three straight after falling behind 2-1 in the Rangers series.
Now they’ve won one after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals — and seem quietly confident they can make it two.
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)