Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM EST
The 1942 Leafs, the 1975 Islanders, the 2010 Flyers…and the 2012 Devils?
According to Peter DeBoer…sure, why not.
That was the message in advance of Saturday’s Stanley Cup finals Game 5 when reporters asked the Devils head coach about climbing out of a usually inescapable hole.
Only three teams in NHL history have rallied from an 0-3 series deficit — the other 164 have gone on to lose.
Q. So much written and talked about at the 0-3 hole. Now we know it’s one game. Having seen it happen in the last six, seven years, the Red Sox beating the Yankees, the Flyers coming back, does it make it more believable?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah, sure. Someone said the ’42 Leafs. You know it’s going to happen again. So why not us? I think that’s the approach. You’re not going to go 200 years without someone else doing it. So it’s been long enough, it might as well be us.
If there’s something DeBoer can hang his hat on, it’s that the Devils have been outstanding this postseason in the latter stages of their series. New Jersey is 9-1 in Games 4-7 — they went 3-1 against the Panthers, 2-0 against the Flyers, 3-0 against the Rangers and are now 1-0 against the Kings.
The Devils have also shown a remarkable ability to string together wins when it counts. They won two straight after falling behind 3-2 in the Florida series, won four straight after falling behind 1-0 in the Philly series and won three straight after falling behind 2-1 in the Rangers series.
Now they’ve won one after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals — and seem quietly confident they can make it two.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)