Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The 1942 Leafs, the 1975 Islanders, the 2010 Flyers…and the 2012 Devils?
According to Peter DeBoer…sure, why not.
That was the message in advance of Saturday’s Stanley Cup finals Game 5 when reporters asked the Devils head coach about climbing out of a usually inescapable hole.
Only three teams in NHL history have rallied from an 0-3 series deficit — the other 164 have gone on to lose.
Q. So much written and talked about at the 0-3 hole. Now we know it’s one game. Having seen it happen in the last six, seven years, the Red Sox beating the Yankees, the Flyers coming back, does it make it more believable?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah, sure. Someone said the ’42 Leafs. You know it’s going to happen again. So why not us? I think that’s the approach. You’re not going to go 200 years without someone else doing it. So it’s been long enough, it might as well be us.
If there’s something DeBoer can hang his hat on, it’s that the Devils have been outstanding this postseason in the latter stages of their series. New Jersey is 9-1 in Games 4-7 — they went 3-1 against the Panthers, 2-0 against the Flyers, 3-0 against the Rangers and are now 1-0 against the Kings.
The Devils have also shown a remarkable ability to string together wins when it counts. They won two straight after falling behind 3-2 in the Florida series, won four straight after falling behind 1-0 in the Philly series and won three straight after falling behind 2-1 in the Rangers series.
Now they’ve won one after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals — and seem quietly confident they can make it two.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 4
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 32
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 21
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)