Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The 1942 Leafs, the 1975 Islanders, the 2010 Flyers…and the 2012 Devils?
According to Peter DeBoer…sure, why not.
That was the message in advance of Saturday’s Stanley Cup finals Game 5 when reporters asked the Devils head coach about climbing out of a usually inescapable hole.
Only three teams in NHL history have rallied from an 0-3 series deficit — the other 164 have gone on to lose.
Q. So much written and talked about at the 0-3 hole. Now we know it’s one game. Having seen it happen in the last six, seven years, the Red Sox beating the Yankees, the Flyers coming back, does it make it more believable?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah, sure. Someone said the ’42 Leafs. You know it’s going to happen again. So why not us? I think that’s the approach. You’re not going to go 200 years without someone else doing it. So it’s been long enough, it might as well be us.
If there’s something DeBoer can hang his hat on, it’s that the Devils have been outstanding this postseason in the latter stages of their series. New Jersey is 9-1 in Games 4-7 — they went 3-1 against the Panthers, 2-0 against the Flyers, 3-0 against the Rangers and are now 1-0 against the Kings.
The Devils have also shown a remarkable ability to string together wins when it counts. They won two straight after falling behind 3-2 in the Florida series, won four straight after falling behind 1-0 in the Philly series and won three straight after falling behind 2-1 in the Rangers series.
Now they’ve won one after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals — and seem quietly confident they can make it two.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)