Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
The 1942 Leafs, the 1975 Islanders, the 2010 Flyers…and the 2012 Devils?
According to Peter DeBoer…sure, why not.
That was the message in advance of Saturday’s Stanley Cup finals Game 5 when reporters asked the Devils head coach about climbing out of a usually inescapable hole.
Only three teams in NHL history have rallied from an 0-3 series deficit — the other 164 have gone on to lose.
Q. So much written and talked about at the 0-3 hole. Now we know it’s one game. Having seen it happen in the last six, seven years, the Red Sox beating the Yankees, the Flyers coming back, does it make it more believable?
COACH DeBOER: Yeah, sure. Someone said the ’42 Leafs. You know it’s going to happen again. So why not us? I think that’s the approach. You’re not going to go 200 years without someone else doing it. So it’s been long enough, it might as well be us.
If there’s something DeBoer can hang his hat on, it’s that the Devils have been outstanding this postseason in the latter stages of their series. New Jersey is 9-1 in Games 4-7 — they went 3-1 against the Panthers, 2-0 against the Flyers, 3-0 against the Rangers and are now 1-0 against the Kings.
The Devils have also shown a remarkable ability to string together wins when it counts. They won two straight after falling behind 3-2 in the Florida series, won four straight after falling behind 1-0 in the Philly series and won three straight after falling behind 2-1 in the Rangers series.
Now they’ve won one after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals — and seem quietly confident they can make it two.
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 0
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 17
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 16
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 69
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement