Jun 8, 2012, 7:38 AM EDT
When the Boston Bruins raised the Stanley Cup in 2011, one could argue that Tim Thomas and Zdeno Chara were the the 1a/1b explanation. Thomas made the highlight reel saves, but one can only speculate about how many Chara helped him avoid. It must be rather awkward for Chara to see all that is happening with the guy he once protected so successfully, then.
Chara spoke about Thomas for what was probably one of the first times in public with Josh Rimer last night. While Chara admitted that he hasn’t spoken with his (former?) goalie yet, he did support his decision.
“It’s tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision and we have to respect that.”
They’ll have to respect that and move on to the next task at hand: try to produce similar success with the next No. 1 guy, who should be Tuukka Rask. Do you think Chara is quite as supportive of Thomas “off the record,” though?
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)