Jun 8, 2012, 7:38 AM EDT
When the Boston Bruins raised the Stanley Cup in 2011, one could argue that Tim Thomas and Zdeno Chara were the the 1a/1b explanation. Thomas made the highlight reel saves, but one can only speculate about how many Chara helped him avoid. It must be rather awkward for Chara to see all that is happening with the guy he once protected so successfully, then.
Chara spoke about Thomas for what was probably one of the first times in public with Josh Rimer last night. While Chara admitted that he hasn’t spoken with his (former?) goalie yet, he did support his decision.
“It’s tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision and we have to respect that.”
They’ll have to respect that and move on to the next task at hand: try to produce similar success with the next No. 1 guy, who should be Tuukka Rask. Do you think Chara is quite as supportive of Thomas “off the record,” though?
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)