Jun 8, 2012, 7:38 AM EST
When the Boston Bruins raised the Stanley Cup in 2011, one could argue that Tim Thomas and Zdeno Chara were the the 1a/1b explanation. Thomas made the highlight reel saves, but one can only speculate about how many Chara helped him avoid. It must be rather awkward for Chara to see all that is happening with the guy he once protected so successfully, then.
Chara spoke about Thomas for what was probably one of the first times in public with Josh Rimer last night. While Chara admitted that he hasn’t spoken with his (former?) goalie yet, he did support his decision.
“It’s tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision and we have to respect that.”
They’ll have to respect that and move on to the next task at hand: try to produce similar success with the next No. 1 guy, who should be Tuukka Rask. Do you think Chara is quite as supportive of Thomas “off the record,” though?
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 35
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 26
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 25
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 130
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (131)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (110)