Jun 7, 2012, 11:53 PM EDT
If you ask a healthy amount of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Ben Scrivens deserves a legitimate shot as the team’s backup. He had a fantastic game for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies in Game 3 of the Calder Cup, but the only goal of the game (a 1-0 OT winner for the Norfolk Admirals) will haunt him in a way that Antti Niemi could probably relate.
Leafs TV features it in the video below, beginning around the 38-second mark.
James Mirtle collected some interesting/sad quotes from after the game, starting with Scrivens.
“That’s a one-in-a-million thing,” Scrivens said. “I was just hoping it wasn’t going in.”
Even Admirals coach Jon Cooper admitted he felt “sick to his stomach” for Scrivens, but Marlies coach Dallas Eakins took the quote cake.
“I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and kick me in the nether regions than lose a game like that,” Eakins said.
(Can we get Eakins in the NHL next season, please?)
The Admirals now have a 3-0 series lead in the Calder Cup finals. Check out full highlights from the game (thanks to Philip Kneitinger) below for evidence that Scrivens probably deserved a better fate.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)