Jun 7, 2012, 11:53 PM EDT
If you ask a healthy amount of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Ben Scrivens deserves a legitimate shot as the team’s backup. He had a fantastic game for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies in Game 3 of the Calder Cup, but the only goal of the game (a 1-0 OT winner for the Norfolk Admirals) will haunt him in a way that Antti Niemi could probably relate.
Leafs TV features it in the video below, beginning around the 38-second mark.
James Mirtle collected some interesting/sad quotes from after the game, starting with Scrivens.
“That’s a one-in-a-million thing,” Scrivens said. “I was just hoping it wasn’t going in.”
Even Admirals coach Jon Cooper admitted he felt “sick to his stomach” for Scrivens, but Marlies coach Dallas Eakins took the quote cake.
“I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and kick me in the nether regions than lose a game like that,” Eakins said.
(Can we get Eakins in the NHL next season, please?)
The Admirals now have a 3-0 series lead in the Calder Cup finals. Check out full highlights from the game (thanks to Philip Kneitinger) below for evidence that Scrivens probably deserved a better fate.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)