Jun 7, 2012, 11:53 PM EDT
If you ask a healthy amount of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Ben Scrivens deserves a legitimate shot as the team’s backup. He had a fantastic game for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies in Game 3 of the Calder Cup, but the only goal of the game (a 1-0 OT winner for the Norfolk Admirals) will haunt him in a way that Antti Niemi could probably relate.
Leafs TV features it in the video below, beginning around the 38-second mark.
James Mirtle collected some interesting/sad quotes from after the game, starting with Scrivens.
“That’s a one-in-a-million thing,” Scrivens said. “I was just hoping it wasn’t going in.”
Even Admirals coach Jon Cooper admitted he felt “sick to his stomach” for Scrivens, but Marlies coach Dallas Eakins took the quote cake.
“I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and kick me in the nether regions than lose a game like that,” Eakins said.
(Can we get Eakins in the NHL next season, please?)
The Admirals now have a 3-0 series lead in the Calder Cup finals. Check out full highlights from the game (thanks to Philip Kneitinger) below for evidence that Scrivens probably deserved a better fate.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)