Jun 7, 2012, 11:53 PM EST
If you ask a healthy amount of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Ben Scrivens deserves a legitimate shot as the team’s backup. He had a fantastic game for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies in Game 3 of the Calder Cup, but the only goal of the game (a 1-0 OT winner for the Norfolk Admirals) will haunt him in a way that Antti Niemi could probably relate.
Leafs TV features it in the video below, beginning around the 38-second mark.
James Mirtle collected some interesting/sad quotes from after the game, starting with Scrivens.
“That’s a one-in-a-million thing,” Scrivens said. “I was just hoping it wasn’t going in.”
Even Admirals coach Jon Cooper admitted he felt “sick to his stomach” for Scrivens, but Marlies coach Dallas Eakins took the quote cake.
“I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and kick me in the nether regions than lose a game like that,” Eakins said.
(Can we get Eakins in the NHL next season, please?)
The Admirals now have a 3-0 series lead in the Calder Cup finals. Check out full highlights from the game (thanks to Philip Kneitinger) below for evidence that Scrivens probably deserved a better fate.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)