Video: Fluke bounce dooms Ben Scrivens

Jun 7, 2012, 11:53 PM EDT

If you ask a healthy amount of Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Ben Scrivens deserves a legitimate shot as the team’s backup. He had a fantastic game for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies in Game 3 of the Calder Cup, but the only goal of the game (a 1-0 OT winner for the Norfolk Admirals) will haunt him in a way that Antti Niemi could probably relate.

Leafs TV features it in the video below, beginning around the 38-second mark.

James Mirtle collected some interesting/sad quotes from after the game, starting with Scrivens.

“That’s a one-in-a-million thing,” Scrivens said. “I was just hoping it wasn’t going in.”

Even Admirals coach Jon Cooper admitted he felt “sick to his stomach” for Scrivens, but Marlies coach Dallas Eakins took the quote cake.

“I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and kick me in the nether regions than lose a game like that,” Eakins said.

(Can we get Eakins in the NHL next season, please?)

The Admirals now have a 3-0 series lead in the Calder Cup finals. Check out full highlights from the game (thanks to Philip Kneitinger) below for evidence that Scrivens probably deserved a better fate.

1. taytay099 - Jun 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I can’t imagine how that feels. Such an anti-climatic way to win.

2. sportsfreak13 - Jun 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Rooting for the marlies to pull the epic 4 game comeback now.

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I grew up in Toronto. I live near Norfolk. I do understand that they can’t both win, but I watched this on TV and really wanted to both cry and laugh. It was just so OMG. I watched the replay 5 times and still couldn’t believe how it ended.
    Which sets up Saturday, on which: Sharapova can win her career Grand Slam; the Admirals their first Calder Cup; I’ll Have Another the first Triple Crown since 1978; and the Kings their first Stanley Cup! Holy sh!t. Or none of those things could happen.

4. davemac32001 - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:39 AM

And, it was so far offside as well… the ref and linesman were so occupied watching the bouncing puck that they missed the Admiral frantically trying to clear the zone.

5. dannymac17 - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM

i like how he gave the uppercut like he knew that was a good shot.

granted, very lucky but his reaction was if he shot it from his own blue line and hit the upper part of the net.

• richter35lundqvist30 - Jun 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hysterical celly for a goal like that he definitely has a fine coming his way in kangaroo court.

6. acieu - Jun 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Is Jon Cooper u d consideration for an NHL coaching job ? What a tough break for Scrivens.

7. jaybertx - Jun 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM

The truth of the matter is that the Ads have been working on that play for 6 years. It’s called “The Annexation of Toronto”. :-)

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches