Jun 7, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
There were already some rumblings that the Goldwater Institute won’t be so quiet in the latest round of Phoenix Coyotes sales pitches, but that seems just about official now. Brahm Resnik reports that the Goldwater Institue intends to attempt to block the Glendale vote for a new Coyotes lease on Friday morning.
Here’s the verbatim Tweet:
BREAKING @GoldwaterInst says it will be in court at 830am Friday to try to block #Glendale vote on #Coyotes lease at 10am.
Goldwater also claims that Glendale “violated an Open Meetings Law by not disclosing the entire lease agreement in a timely fashion,” according to Resnik’s reports.
The last thing that the newest edition of the Coyotes’ hopeful sale needed was the Goldwater Institute blocking the path again, although it’s not fair to cast them in the role of “villains.” It’s a watchdog group designed to help protect taxpayers and it’s likely that even the most ardent Coyotes supporter would admit that it’s a far-from-ideal situation. The latest proposal seemed to be designed to survive Goldwater’s gaze, but if this development is any indication, it obviously didn’t do enough to calm those fears.
We’ll keep an eye out for developments on what could be a tumultuous Friday morning in a story that seemingly never ends.
(H/T to Bruce Arthur.)
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7