Jun 7, 2012, 8:54 PM EST
There were already some rumblings that the Goldwater Institute won’t be so quiet in the latest round of Phoenix Coyotes sales pitches, but that seems just about official now. Brahm Resnik reports that the Goldwater Institue intends to attempt to block the Glendale vote for a new Coyotes lease on Friday morning.
Here’s the verbatim Tweet:
BREAKING @GoldwaterInst says it will be in court at 830am Friday to try to block #Glendale vote on #Coyotes lease at 10am.
Goldwater also claims that Glendale “violated an Open Meetings Law by not disclosing the entire lease agreement in a timely fashion,” according to Resnik’s reports.
The last thing that the newest edition of the Coyotes’ hopeful sale needed was the Goldwater Institute blocking the path again, although it’s not fair to cast them in the role of “villains.” It’s a watchdog group designed to help protect taxpayers and it’s likely that even the most ardent Coyotes supporter would admit that it’s a far-from-ideal situation. The latest proposal seemed to be designed to survive Goldwater’s gaze, but if this development is any indication, it obviously didn’t do enough to calm those fears.
We’ll keep an eye out for developments on what could be a tumultuous Friday morning in a story that seemingly never ends.
(H/T to Bruce Arthur.)
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)