Jun 7, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
There were already some rumblings that the Goldwater Institute won’t be so quiet in the latest round of Phoenix Coyotes sales pitches, but that seems just about official now. Brahm Resnik reports that the Goldwater Institue intends to attempt to block the Glendale vote for a new Coyotes lease on Friday morning.
Here’s the verbatim Tweet:
BREAKING @GoldwaterInst says it will be in court at 830am Friday to try to block #Glendale vote on #Coyotes lease at 10am.
Goldwater also claims that Glendale “violated an Open Meetings Law by not disclosing the entire lease agreement in a timely fashion,” according to Resnik’s reports.
The last thing that the newest edition of the Coyotes’ hopeful sale needed was the Goldwater Institute blocking the path again, although it’s not fair to cast them in the role of “villains.” It’s a watchdog group designed to help protect taxpayers and it’s likely that even the most ardent Coyotes supporter would admit that it’s a far-from-ideal situation. The latest proposal seemed to be designed to survive Goldwater’s gaze, but if this development is any indication, it obviously didn’t do enough to calm those fears.
We’ll keep an eye out for developments on what could be a tumultuous Friday morning in a story that seemingly never ends.
(H/T to Bruce Arthur.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)