Jun 7, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Adding Brad Richards certainly helped the New York Rangers jump up a level this season, but I think the team also exhibited the underrated value of a decent backup. For years, Henrik Lundqvist was expected to win too many games and play too many games for the Rangers, yet last season a healthy Martin Biron allowed the team to rest Hank.
With that in mind, it’s good – if not enormous – news that Katie Strang reports that there’s been “progress” made in contract talks between Biron and the Rangers.
Biron might be the ideal backup for Lundqvist on many levels. He’s been a starter earlier in his career, yet he must know that’s no longer his place – yet it still means that he’s likely comfortable “carrying the ball” from time to time.
Money will probably be the big question. It wouldn’t be surprising if Biron wants a little more than the $875K annual cap hit he received the last two seasons, yet the Rangers might want Biron to make the kind of dough that journeyman No.2’s such as Brent Johnson and Brian Boucher tend to net (maybe closer to $650K?).
If the Rangers don’t nab Biron, they’d be wise to get someone like him. A fresher Hank tends to be a more productive Hank.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)