Jun 7, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
To little surprise, the New Jersey Devils are uttering much more positive quotes after avoiding a sweep against the Los Angeles Kings last night. Captain Zach Parise ranked among the optimistic observers on Thursday, as Andy Vasquez reports.
“Our backs are against the wall and we responded each time,” Parise said. “We’ve been playing well but we’re still down so it doesn’t change much. Getting that first win was big for us, for confidence, we know we can accomplish a comeback.”
Peter DeBoer echoed those thoughts, making an admittedly obvious statement that the series could really “turn” if New Jersey wins on Saturday. DeBoer also had some very positive things to say about Game 4 additions Petr Sykora and Henrik Tallinder.
“They gave us a real shot of energy,” DeBoer said. “I thought, whenever you’re out for an extended period, you worry about how they’re going to get in, their timing and things. But you can tell they’re veteran guys. They had no hesitation when you talked to them about going back in, and that’s how they played.”
Those veteran guys will get an extra night off between games, too, which could be especially valuable if they don’t quite have that vaunted first-game-back adrenaline in Game 5. Either way, the Devils seem confident that they can “make a series” of the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)