Jun 7, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils had every reason to be desperate going into Game 4 on Wednesday. After all, they were down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals. Only the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs have ever managed to hoist the Stanley Cup after losing Games 1 through 3.
So it’s not surprising that New Jersey had a strong game on Wednesday, especially in the third period. The Devils managed to earn a 3-1 victory and extend the series.
“They played with a little more desperation than we did,” Anze Kopitar confirmed, “and we have to correct that in Game 5.”
The danger with going up 3-0 is that you can be lulled into a false sense of security or get overwhelmed by the pressure of the expectations it comes with, but those are issues that almost every 3-0 team end up overcoming. On top of that, if anyone has experience with what to do when you take a 3-0 series lead, it’s the 2012 Los Angeles Kings.
They set an NHL record by taking a 3-0 lead in all four of their playoff series. They went on to surrender Game 4 in three of those series, but they haven’t allowed a series to go beyond Game 5. We’ll see if they can continue that trend when the Stanley Cup finals resume on Saturday.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)