Jun 7, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils had every reason to be desperate going into Game 4 on Wednesday. After all, they were down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals. Only the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs have ever managed to hoist the Stanley Cup after losing Games 1 through 3.
So it’s not surprising that New Jersey had a strong game on Wednesday, especially in the third period. The Devils managed to earn a 3-1 victory and extend the series.
“They played with a little more desperation than we did,” Anze Kopitar confirmed, “and we have to correct that in Game 5.”
The danger with going up 3-0 is that you can be lulled into a false sense of security or get overwhelmed by the pressure of the expectations it comes with, but those are issues that almost every 3-0 team end up overcoming. On top of that, if anyone has experience with what to do when you take a 3-0 series lead, it’s the 2012 Los Angeles Kings.
They set an NHL record by taking a 3-0 lead in all four of their playoff series. They went on to surrender Game 4 in three of those series, but they haven’t allowed a series to go beyond Game 5. We’ll see if they can continue that trend when the Stanley Cup finals resume on Saturday.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)