Jun 7, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils had every reason to be desperate going into Game 4 on Wednesday. After all, they were down 3-0 in the Stanley Cup finals. Only the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs have ever managed to hoist the Stanley Cup after losing Games 1 through 3.
So it’s not surprising that New Jersey had a strong game on Wednesday, especially in the third period. The Devils managed to earn a 3-1 victory and extend the series.
“They played with a little more desperation than we did,” Anze Kopitar confirmed, “and we have to correct that in Game 5.”
The danger with going up 3-0 is that you can be lulled into a false sense of security or get overwhelmed by the pressure of the expectations it comes with, but those are issues that almost every 3-0 team end up overcoming. On top of that, if anyone has experience with what to do when you take a 3-0 series lead, it’s the 2012 Los Angeles Kings.
They set an NHL record by taking a 3-0 lead in all four of their playoff series. They went on to surrender Game 4 in three of those series, but they haven’t allowed a series to go beyond Game 5. We’ll see if they can continue that trend when the Stanley Cup finals resume on Saturday.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)