Jun 7, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
New Flames head coach Bob Hartley has a difficult job ahead of him. The Calgary Flames have been stuck in the mud for years and, according to a recent report, they won’t come close to spending to the cap in 2012-13.
Still, one of Hartley’s first tasks as the bench boss has been accomplished. He’s won the support of Flames captain and superstar Jarome Iginla.
“His reputation and accomplishments are very impressive. He has had success at every level,” Iginla said. “I’ve also heard good things about him from other players like Tangs (Alex Tanguay), who has played for him in the past. I have heard he is a very detailed and passionate coach.
“And from our initial conversation, I’m looking forward to learning from him and getting better as a team.”
Hartley called Iginla, but he told him that he wanted to meet in person.
“We can’t talk over the phone. We will run out of minutes,” Hartley explained to Iginla.
Of course, the elephant in the room is the constant rumors that Iginla might be traded. They have plagued the Flames organization for years and the reason they won’t die down is because dealing their aging superstar would seem to make a lot of sense. They haven’t come close to winning a Stanley Cup in years, so why not trade Iginla for prospects while he still has value?
Perhaps Hartley will be the guy to prove to the critics that the Calgary Flames can be competitive in the short-term. It won’t be an easy task though.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)