Jun 7, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
New Flames head coach Bob Hartley has a difficult job ahead of him. The Calgary Flames have been stuck in the mud for years and, according to a recent report, they won’t come close to spending to the cap in 2012-13.
Still, one of Hartley’s first tasks as the bench boss has been accomplished. He’s won the support of Flames captain and superstar Jarome Iginla.
“His reputation and accomplishments are very impressive. He has had success at every level,” Iginla said. “I’ve also heard good things about him from other players like Tangs (Alex Tanguay), who has played for him in the past. I have heard he is a very detailed and passionate coach.
“And from our initial conversation, I’m looking forward to learning from him and getting better as a team.”
Hartley called Iginla, but he told him that he wanted to meet in person.
“We can’t talk over the phone. We will run out of minutes,” Hartley explained to Iginla.
Of course, the elephant in the room is the constant rumors that Iginla might be traded. They have plagued the Flames organization for years and the reason they won’t die down is because dealing their aging superstar would seem to make a lot of sense. They haven’t come close to winning a Stanley Cup in years, so why not trade Iginla for prospects while he still has value?
Perhaps Hartley will be the guy to prove to the critics that the Calgary Flames can be competitive in the short-term. It won’t be an easy task though.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)