Jun 7, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
New Flames head coach Bob Hartley has a difficult job ahead of him. The Calgary Flames have been stuck in the mud for years and, according to a recent report, they won’t come close to spending to the cap in 2012-13.
Still, one of Hartley’s first tasks as the bench boss has been accomplished. He’s won the support of Flames captain and superstar Jarome Iginla.
“His reputation and accomplishments are very impressive. He has had success at every level,” Iginla said. “I’ve also heard good things about him from other players like Tangs (Alex Tanguay), who has played for him in the past. I have heard he is a very detailed and passionate coach.
“And from our initial conversation, I’m looking forward to learning from him and getting better as a team.”
Hartley called Iginla, but he told him that he wanted to meet in person.
“We can’t talk over the phone. We will run out of minutes,” Hartley explained to Iginla.
Of course, the elephant in the room is the constant rumors that Iginla might be traded. They have plagued the Flames organization for years and the reason they won’t die down is because dealing their aging superstar would seem to make a lot of sense. They haven’t come close to winning a Stanley Cup in years, so why not trade Iginla for prospects while he still has value?
Perhaps Hartley will be the guy to prove to the critics that the Calgary Flames can be competitive in the short-term. It won’t be an easy task though.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)