Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are in a bit of an awkward situation. Although they technically have exclusive negotiating rights over soon-to-be unrestricted free agents Matt Carle, they can’t actually sign him to a contract extension.
That’s because all teams are still subject to the 2011-12 salary cap for now and signing Carle would mean going over budget. Once the free agent market opens, the cap will rise and Philadelphia should have enough space to offer Carle a competitive contract. The problem is that by then, Carle will have probably have already received other offers and Philadelphia might end up getting outbid.
All the same, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren remains optimistic about his team’s ability to retain Carle.
“I have had enough conversations with Matt to know what he is about and know that he wants to stay in Philadelphia,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how it all works out.”
Carle is coming off a four-year/$13,750,000 contract. He’s recorded at least 35 points in each of his last three seasons, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he ended up getting a decent raise.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)