Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are in a bit of an awkward situation. Although they technically have exclusive negotiating rights over soon-to-be unrestricted free agents Matt Carle, they can’t actually sign him to a contract extension.
That’s because all teams are still subject to the 2011-12 salary cap for now and signing Carle would mean going over budget. Once the free agent market opens, the cap will rise and Philadelphia should have enough space to offer Carle a competitive contract. The problem is that by then, Carle will have probably have already received other offers and Philadelphia might end up getting outbid.
All the same, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren remains optimistic about his team’s ability to retain Carle.
“I have had enough conversations with Matt to know what he is about and know that he wants to stay in Philadelphia,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how it all works out.”
Carle is coming off a four-year/$13,750,000 contract. He’s recorded at least 35 points in each of his last three seasons, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he ended up getting a decent raise.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)