Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are in a bit of an awkward situation. Although they technically have exclusive negotiating rights over soon-to-be unrestricted free agents Matt Carle, they can’t actually sign him to a contract extension.
That’s because all teams are still subject to the 2011-12 salary cap for now and signing Carle would mean going over budget. Once the free agent market opens, the cap will rise and Philadelphia should have enough space to offer Carle a competitive contract. The problem is that by then, Carle will have probably have already received other offers and Philadelphia might end up getting outbid.
All the same, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren remains optimistic about his team’s ability to retain Carle.
“I have had enough conversations with Matt to know what he is about and know that he wants to stay in Philadelphia,” Holmgren said. “We’ll see how it all works out.”
Carle is coming off a four-year/$13,750,000 contract. He’s recorded at least 35 points in each of his last three seasons, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he ended up getting a decent raise.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)