Jun 7, 2012, 8:42 PM EST
A typical NHL team could do worse than to have a one-two scoring punch of Alexander Radulov and Alexander Semin. Yet David Staples passes along “Russian reports” that imply CSKA – the “filthy rich” team that sports Sergei Fedorov as its general manager – might just go after both.
Now that Rosneft, one of Russia’s oil giants, has taken over full sponsorship of CSKA Moscow, it gave general manager Sergei Fedorov carte blanche to go after the best talent available.
According to Russian sources, Fedorov has expressed serious interest in the services of Alexander Radulov and Alexander Semin.
It’s one thing to imagine the two brilliant-yet-heavily-criticized forwards ending up in the KHL, but on the same team? I’m not certain that it would jive well with the “one returning NHL player” salary exemption noted earlier, but there’s probably a way around that too.
Naturally, CSKA still must compete with interest from the NHL and other KHL teams, yet one might argue they have as good a chance to land one or both of those players as any team in the world.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)