Jun 7, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
Andy Strickland has an interestingly fitting phrase to describe the jostling between the St. Louis Blues and team president John Davidson: it seems like a “poker game.”
Earlier today, reports surfaced that Davidson spoke with another Central Division team, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Eric Smith adds an interesting claim that Davidson actually contacted the Blue Jackets, rather than the other way around. Either way, though, Strickland probably cuts to the crux of the wedge between the Blues and the executive who helped to turn them around.
The Blues are waiting to see if Davidson leaves on his own while on the other hand Davidson is probably questioning if the organization even wants him and his hefty contract to remain with the club. Any way you look at it there’s a very sensitive situation brewing.
In reality this isn’t about the Blues not wanting Davidson. It’s whether or not it makes smart business sense to have both JD and GM Doug Armstrong in place atop the hockey department. If Davidson was making $500,000 a year opposed to the $1.6 Million he made this past season then we probably aren’t having this discussion. The $1.6 Million he earned this year was less than he made in the final year of his previous five-year contract.
With Armstrong and still-new head coach Ken Hitchcock in tow, one might argue that the Blues are ready to move on without Davidson. Ideally, the Blues would probably prefer to keep as many strong hockey minds under the same umbrella as possible, but budgetary constraints and ego concerns can make things complicated.
No matter what John Davidson decides, the Blues are much better off today than the day he stepped in here. His efforts should be applauded.
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 0
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 23
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 25
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming