Jun 7, 2012, 6:57 PM EST
Andy Strickland has an interestingly fitting phrase to describe the jostling between the St. Louis Blues and team president John Davidson: it seems like a “poker game.”
Earlier today, reports surfaced that Davidson spoke with another Central Division team, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Eric Smith adds an interesting claim that Davidson actually contacted the Blue Jackets, rather than the other way around. Either way, though, Strickland probably cuts to the crux of the wedge between the Blues and the executive who helped to turn them around.
The Blues are waiting to see if Davidson leaves on his own while on the other hand Davidson is probably questioning if the organization even wants him and his hefty contract to remain with the club. Any way you look at it there’s a very sensitive situation brewing.
In reality this isn’t about the Blues not wanting Davidson. It’s whether or not it makes smart business sense to have both JD and GM Doug Armstrong in place atop the hockey department. If Davidson was making $500,000 a year opposed to the $1.6 Million he made this past season then we probably aren’t having this discussion. The $1.6 Million he earned this year was less than he made in the final year of his previous five-year contract.
With Armstrong and still-new head coach Ken Hitchcock in tow, one might argue that the Blues are ready to move on without Davidson. Ideally, the Blues would probably prefer to keep as many strong hockey minds under the same umbrella as possible, but budgetary constraints and ego concerns can make things complicated.
No matter what John Davidson decides, the Blues are much better off today than the day he stepped in here. His efforts should be applauded.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 55
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53