Jun 6, 2012, 11:52 PM EDT
At one point during the third period of Game 4, it seemed like things were going from bad to worse for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils eventually won the contest 3-1 to avoid elimination, yet the concern was that the team’s two most dangerous weapons might be holstered to some extent.
Tom Gulitti asked Parise if he suffered an injury, but the Devils’ captain was adamant that he’s OK.
“I just went into the boards funny,” Parise said. “I’m fine.”
Gulitti noted that Parise walked around without effort, too, which might be a bigger stamp of approval than Parise’s words. Hockey players and teams are (quite reasonably) protective about details when it comes to injuries, so beat writers can often shed more light on these situations.
Then again, hockey lore states that Mario Lemieux famously lit up the league despite dealing with back problems that were so bad he struggled to lace up his skates, so maybe being 100 percent isn’t a requirement anyway.
Still, Devils fans should find comfort in Parise’s claims of good health.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)