Jun 6, 2012, 11:52 PM EDT
At one point during the third period of Game 4, it seemed like things were going from bad to worse for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils eventually won the contest 3-1 to avoid elimination, yet the concern was that the team’s two most dangerous weapons might be holstered to some extent.
Tom Gulitti asked Parise if he suffered an injury, but the Devils’ captain was adamant that he’s OK.
“I just went into the boards funny,” Parise said. “I’m fine.”
Gulitti noted that Parise walked around without effort, too, which might be a bigger stamp of approval than Parise’s words. Hockey players and teams are (quite reasonably) protective about details when it comes to injuries, so beat writers can often shed more light on these situations.
Then again, hockey lore states that Mario Lemieux famously lit up the league despite dealing with back problems that were so bad he struggled to lace up his skates, so maybe being 100 percent isn’t a requirement anyway.
Still, Devils fans should find comfort in Parise’s claims of good health.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)