Jun 6, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Things aren’t looking great for the New Jersey Devils right now. They’re down 3-0 to the Kings in the Stanley Cup finals and have managed to score just two goals in those three games. Making things more uncomfortable, another loss brings on the offseason and that means time to speculate where soon-to-be free agent Zach Parise might play next.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post points out Parise’s future very well may not wind up in New Jersey as a dozen teams will be ready to vie for Parise’s services for possibly the rest of his career. Brooks says the kind of deal Parise can expect will look awfully familiar.
This all but certainly will be the final summer in which, a) players will be allowed to sign front-loaded contracts with huge signing bonuses that this year will also serve as lockout-protection; and b) players will be permitted to sign contracts without term limits.
Indeed, Parise can expect offers modeled after the nine-year, $60 million contract Brad Richards signed last summer with the Rangers, under which the center is receiving $24 million the first two years, including a $10 million signing bonus last July and an $8 million signing bonus due next month.
Brooks mentions Detroit, Boston, the Rangers, Toronto, Minnesota, and San Jose as likely instantly interested teams.
At the very least, if the Devils want to get back in the series and keep hope alive, a win would help that cause. A win will also keep the free agency vultures away for a few more days.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)