Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Knuble had a strenuous time in Washington this season. He went from the first line to being a healthy scratch then ultimately a fourth liner in the postseason. Now his time with the Capitals is at an end.
Katie Carrera of The Washington Post reports Caps GM George McPhee told Knuble the team will not be bringing him back next season. Knuble says it’s not all that unexpected of a decision.
“There are younger guys stepping up and those guys will need a spot to play and a chance to play…. It’s really the first time in my career that I’ve been told by a team they don’t want me back, but it’s not like I was blindsided.”
At 39-years-old Knuble’s skills aren’t quite what they used to be, but after the way he was handled in Washington this past season, you wonder if he’ll have a little left in the tank along with a chip on his shoulder. There were teams believed to be interested in acquiring him at the deadline but the Caps didn’t pull the trigger on a deal. Knuble will be 40 when the season starts again in October.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)