Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Knuble had a strenuous time in Washington this season. He went from the first line to being a healthy scratch then ultimately a fourth liner in the postseason. Now his time with the Capitals is at an end.
Katie Carrera of The Washington Post reports Caps GM George McPhee told Knuble the team will not be bringing him back next season. Knuble says it’s not all that unexpected of a decision.
“There are younger guys stepping up and those guys will need a spot to play and a chance to play…. It’s really the first time in my career that I’ve been told by a team they don’t want me back, but it’s not like I was blindsided.”
At 39-years-old Knuble’s skills aren’t quite what they used to be, but after the way he was handled in Washington this past season, you wonder if he’ll have a little left in the tank along with a chip on his shoulder. There were teams believed to be interested in acquiring him at the deadline but the Caps didn’t pull the trigger on a deal. Knuble will be 40 when the season starts again in October.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)