Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Knuble had a strenuous time in Washington this season. He went from the first line to being a healthy scratch then ultimately a fourth liner in the postseason. Now his time with the Capitals is at an end.
Katie Carrera of The Washington Post reports Caps GM George McPhee told Knuble the team will not be bringing him back next season. Knuble says it’s not all that unexpected of a decision.
“There are younger guys stepping up and those guys will need a spot to play and a chance to play…. It’s really the first time in my career that I’ve been told by a team they don’t want me back, but it’s not like I was blindsided.”
At 39-years-old Knuble’s skills aren’t quite what they used to be, but after the way he was handled in Washington this past season, you wonder if he’ll have a little left in the tank along with a chip on his shoulder. There were teams believed to be interested in acquiring him at the deadline but the Caps didn’t pull the trigger on a deal. Knuble will be 40 when the season starts again in October.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)