Jun 6, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Knuble had a strenuous time in Washington this season. He went from the first line to being a healthy scratch then ultimately a fourth liner in the postseason. Now his time with the Capitals is at an end.
Katie Carrera of The Washington Post reports Caps GM George McPhee told Knuble the team will not be bringing him back next season. Knuble says it’s not all that unexpected of a decision.
“There are younger guys stepping up and those guys will need a spot to play and a chance to play…. It’s really the first time in my career that I’ve been told by a team they don’t want me back, but it’s not like I was blindsided.”
At 39-years-old Knuble’s skills aren’t quite what they used to be, but after the way he was handled in Washington this past season, you wonder if he’ll have a little left in the tank along with a chip on his shoulder. There were teams believed to be interested in acquiring him at the deadline but the Caps didn’t pull the trigger on a deal. Knuble will be 40 when the season starts again in October.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)