That story about Crosby wanting a seven-year deal took a weird turn

Jun 6, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby AP

On Monday, we profiled an article from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that reported, among other things, Sidney Crosby‘s desire to get a contract extension of no less than seven years.

Today, Travis Hughes of SB Nation reports that part of the article is now missing.

Here’s the original excerpt:

Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term — possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.

Now it appears the passage has been removed from the article and replaced with this, the lone Crosby mention in the piece:

Shero confirmed to Trib Total Media in December that signing Sidney Crosby to a new contract is the team’s top priority this summer.

(Here’s a cached version of the piece)

It remains unclear why this happened, but Hughes notes calls have been placed to both the Tribune and Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson…so it’s possible this story could develop more.

Finally, it’s worth pointing out that you can never really take anything off the Internet. It’s like trying to take pee out of a pool.

1. flyersgoalscoredby88 - Jun 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Bit of a non-issue, especially during the Stanley Cup Finals. What are the Pens gonna do? NOT meet Crosby’s demands? Even when he’s not playing he keeps them in the news and sells jerseys. He’s probably worth $20+M to the Penguins and more to the sport of hockey. If he wants 10 years, he’ll get 10. If he wants 7, he’ll get 7.,

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Last time they owed their superstar money they had to give him ownership of the team ! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAhA !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

And he delivered 2 cups as a player and 1 as a owner. Worked out pretty well. Not like our players have to leave the flyers to win a cup. Tocchet,recchi,Carter,Richards,gagne,hextall,john Stevens to name a few.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yeah and 2, count em 2 bankruptcies to go with them cups ,,,,,,,,,good thing those cups are property of the NHL and not the penguin organization or they would have had to be hocked at a pawn shop ! HAHAHAahAHahahahaha !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

dont be bitter because your not old enough to have experienced a cup in Philly. Now we have 5 years of consecutive sell outs and counting. Philadelphia has a population of at least 2 million while Pittsburgh has 350,000.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I experienced both cups and I also experienced the days when your club was like 47-0 against the Flyers from when they both came into the league ! But your club does have a slight advantage when it comes to Cups 3-2 and bankruptcies 2-0 !

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

141-89-30 All time series in favor of the the Flyers ! You’s have had a lot of terrible clubs of the years last place finishes have saved your franchise and thats the facts !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

rather have all that then a 37 year drought and counting

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I must say the pens will never suffer a 37 year drought their financial troubles will most likely put them out of business in the next 5-7 years !

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Lemiuex refused to put their jersey on the day he was drafted ,now thats bad !

• hockeyfan1701 - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

1975

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

All you need to know about the Penguins organization is Lemieux refused to put their jersey on at the podium on draft day !

• crosberries - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

All I can say is I really thought by the way you spell and talk from reading all your posts from now and before I thought you were about 14 years old nosuperbowls haha it’s really sad and unfortunate that at your age you still fell the need to make the stupid comments you do but I would expect that from someone with the mental capacity of a 12 year old. Get out of your mommy’s basement she’s pretty old and just wants to experience life without you for a little while. Give her a break from taking care of her still mentally immature child.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I live in Mario’s basement with Sid amongst the old CHAPTER 11 files !

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

When the Pens finish last next year I heard with the number one pick in the 2013 NHL Draft the Pittsburgh Penguins will draft a player with the last name of CHAPTER and he will be issued the number 11 !

• crosberries - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Exactly thank you for proving my point your a perfect example of the morons that infest philthy

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

lemieux said that is his biggest regret and his ex agent made him do it. Since then he has saved the team (twice as you like to point out) and our finaces are top and we have 5 years of sellouts. And we might f gone bankrupt but at least we didn’t have to break the other teams to win our cups.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Yeah and Ed Snider never had to defer players paychecks !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

haha the fact that you keep coming back to the same arguement again and again shows your lack of intelligence to engage in a debate and your lack of maturity. Glad your a flyer fan because you fit the stereotype. Just try and no boo cancer support videos or beat up war vets wont you. I bet your one of those fans sueing the flyer for not putting the winter classic tickets in your season ticket package.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

My lack of maturity and intelligence thats funny ! Iam stating facts your name calling ! As far as my season tickets (luxury suite 100 large ) its nicer than the shack you call home ! I’ll come down to your maturity level but not your poverty level !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

hahaha that’s funny because I’m 25 and my shoes probably cost more then your house. Word of advice don’t try and go toe to toe with me on money. Apparantly money means everything to you and the team you root for which is sad. Most people are obsessed with things they dont have. A recent Stanley cup championship comes to mind.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Speaking of shoes I left a pair under your moms bed !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I’d ship them back to you but trailer park addresses confuse me.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Keep them your father can wear them, Iam sure his payless ones need replacing !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Ha he doesn’t shop like you!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

You can’t when your broke !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

which is why I’m surprised you can just write off a pair of shoes. Very surpised you can afford the internet. You probably just steal it from your neighbor.what you going to do when their house rolls away.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Wow I don’t know whats weaker your material or Crosbys chin !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Considering Crosby averaged over a point per game after his return I’d say my material. Which is shocking considering your comebacks still pale in comparison to mine. Your comments are so soft they sit down to pee.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Then my comments have a lot in common with Crosby !

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Men whose name is on the cup stand to pee. Same can’t be said for giroux.

• theageofquarrel - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

@ eiggles
      Yeah sure you did.

2. theotherjason - Jun 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Quck! Somebody get the turkey baster!!!

3. alexb64 - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

“you can never really take anything off the Internet. It’s like trying to take pee out of a pool.”

I think Joe Garelli will be a welcome addition to PHT.

• Mike Halford - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Your last name’s Garelli?

• Tristan - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

All right, that tears it. My faith in humanity is gone. Who in the world downthumbed that?

That was a quality NewsRadio callback right there.

4. vokounviolatesvirginvag - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

filthadelphia wishes they had a decent player on their team.

• kitshky - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Kid, this is why no one likes you.

Except me … you entertain the sh*t outta me.

5. rendy0212 - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I’m guessing it was pulled since the Penguins can’t negotiate with Crosby until July 1 per the CBA. Also it is worth noting that Mark Madden is reporting Crosby is seeking a 14 year 125 million dollar deal. That’s an average of 9 per year which is a bargain for someone of Crosby’s calibre but that is a loooong contract. As already pointed out though if that’s what he wants then that’s what he will get.

6. jimw81 - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

It’s common that Anything that is place on Internet is edited or reworded. Google just cached the web page when it was last edited. If I was the pens, I’ll give more $$ to Malkin than Crosby.

7. pozone6031 - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

As a Pens fan I know how much Sid the Kid means in $s to the Pens however when Sid is out Malkin takes over and Staal is an allaround fine player. Ray Shero has tough descisions but with an expanded salary cap as expected he can sign all three and pick up a sstay at home DMAN. They already got Vokun.

8. polegojim - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Why would he get it? Concussions…. Lost seasons…. really?

9. chasemutley - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

“filthadelphia wishes they had a decent player on their team”?

Comments like that only prove how stupid you are. The Flyers have a dozen players that any of the other team in this league would take in a heartbeat. Quit trolling. Loser.

• crosberries - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yeah the other teams already have them and you can watch them raise the cup tonight while philthy weeps in their Crosby tears beer.

10. wicky888 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I heard Crosby was asking for a 7 year deal, and when he didn’t get it, he just dove onto the ground and whined to the nearest official

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

heard giroux wanted a huge raise and when he didn’t get it he whined to the officials then headshotted the closest person to him

• wicky888 - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Wow nice post. Where did you ever come up with such a funny scenerio! I’ve never heard (or said) anything like it! You definately win points for originality with that one……..

Seriously though, my five year old could have done better. You should have just said “I know you are but what am I” or “Takes one to know one”

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

It appears more people like my version then yours so you can just say i was editing yours for you. My point is our “whiny” star was 19 when he complained to officials. Yours is 24!

• wicky888 - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Really? On the Penguins thread, my anti-Penguins comment was not popular and your anti-Flyers comment was? I must admit sir, I have underestimated you. Clearly you are a super genius.

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Takes one to know one. I see you have no comeback for giroux whining at age 24. Ill take that as you conceding that im correct. You should also know that whether the article is about pens or flyers the same amount of trolls read both articles.

• wicky888 - Jun 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Giroux whined once, Crosby has made a career out of it, and you know it. The guy is one of the best players in the world, there is no reason for his diving whining bullsh!t. Although he has been better recently.

• sportsfreak13 - Jun 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

your delusional if you think giroux has only whined once. Crosby talks to the refs AFTER the play because he’s the captain and that’s his responsibility. Giroux is not the captain therefore no excuse.

11. buffalomafia - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Buffalo would take Cynthia Crisby in a heart beat!

We were one pick away from drafting him!

12. steelpenguin71 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM

What a shame the Flyers represent such a sorry fan base that seems to have nothing better to do than worry about every little comment, article, and move regarding their cross state rival.

eigglesnosuperbowls: more like eigglesnowomannobrainsandprobablyhasn’tseenhispeckerorfeetinfiveyears

Get a life ya Jagoff

• wicky888 - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Penguins fans post all over the Flyers articles as well, its a fun rivalry, even in the offseason.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches