Jun 6, 2012, 6:26 PM EST
After a long and grueling run, the New Jersey Devils season will end on a sour note if they lose just one more game. Desperate, Devils coach Pete DeBoer has decided to make a couple of noteworthy roster changes. One was to insert Henrik Tallinder into the lineup for the first time since Jan. 17.
“I haven’t been playing for a while so I’m pretty excited to come back and just to be able to play again,” Tallinder said.
The Devils might be facing nearly insurmountable odds, but Tallinder has some first-hand experience with coming back from the brink.
When he was diagnosed with a blood clot in his left leg, he wasn’t sure if he’d play again this season and he very nearly didn’t.
“It’s really tough,” he said. “You are going through the emotions. It was not one doctor. It was a couple doctors. I don’t know, it was probably more than a couple doctors. You go through the emotions. One guy says one thing and then you go to the next one, he says another thing. You are trying to take a path where I’m going and it’s not easy because some say, ‘Yeah, you’re going to be back in two months’ and one says, ‘Yeah, it’s going to take six months.’ So how do you deal with that?”
He found a way to and now he’s playing in the Stanley Cup finals. It might not be under the best of circumstances, but at least now he’ll have a hand in shaping the Devils’ destiny.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 10
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 18
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)