Jun 6, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
After a long and grueling run, the New Jersey Devils season will end on a sour note if they lose just one more game. Desperate, Devils coach Pete DeBoer has decided to make a couple of noteworthy roster changes. One was to insert Henrik Tallinder into the lineup for the first time since Jan. 17.
“I haven’t been playing for a while so I’m pretty excited to come back and just to be able to play again,” Tallinder said.
The Devils might be facing nearly insurmountable odds, but Tallinder has some first-hand experience with coming back from the brink.
When he was diagnosed with a blood clot in his left leg, he wasn’t sure if he’d play again this season and he very nearly didn’t.
“It’s really tough,” he said. “You are going through the emotions. It was not one doctor. It was a couple doctors. I don’t know, it was probably more than a couple doctors. You go through the emotions. One guy says one thing and then you go to the next one, he says another thing. You are trying to take a path where I’m going and it’s not easy because some say, ‘Yeah, you’re going to be back in two months’ and one says, ‘Yeah, it’s going to take six months.’ So how do you deal with that?”
He found a way to and now he’s playing in the Stanley Cup finals. It might not be under the best of circumstances, but at least now he’ll have a hand in shaping the Devils’ destiny.
- Discuss: Sharks push series to Game 7 0
- Report: Stars meet with Lindy Ruff, contact Alain Vigneault 1
- Bruins GM Chiarelli sticks to his guns over Jagr-Iginla debate 19
- Playoffs tonight: Sharks look to force a Game 7 with Kings 4
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 41
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 30
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 57
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 71
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 6
- LIVE: Pacers, Heat jockey for series lead
- MST: Kanaan wins 97th Indianapolis 500
- PBT: Will the real Dwyane Wade please stand up?
- PBT: Popovich pulls all the right strings in Game 3
- Golf: Weekley wins first title since 2008 at Colonial
- Roger Clemens still dogged by NY steroids case