Jun 6, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
It’s not unusual for a team to attempt a midseason course correction by firing their coach and hiring a replacement. However, it’s very rare for the new guy to lead his team to a Stanley Cup in the same season.
Unless the Devils are able to pull off a historic comeback, Kings coach Darryl Sutter will join the exclusive club of coaches that have accomplished that impressive feat. The list includes Dan Bylsma, who led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup after replacing Michel Therrien in the second half of the season, and Larry Robinson, who won the Cup with the Devils in 2000 despite getting the job with just eight games remaining in the regular season.
Sutter joined the Kings in December and the team posted a 25-13-11 regular season record under him. He helped them squeeze into the playoffs and Los Angeles has realized its potential in the postseason. Given how monumental the Kings’ run has been, it seems only appropriate that their coach is doing what only a select few have done before.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)