Jun 6, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Last week, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said “there don’t appear to be any roadblocks that would derail” a sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to a group of investors led by former Sharks CEO Greg Jamison. However, according to a Forbes report, Jamison is having trouble raising the money to purchase the club and keep it in the desert.
The NHL is believed to be asking $170 million for the franchise it bought out of bankruptcy in 2009.
Assuming the report is accurate, perhaps investors are hoping the league will drop its price.
Or, perhaps investors weren’t encouraged by the fan response to the Coyotes’ playoff run and are having second thoughts. We only say this because it was reported in April that Jamison had “brought together the investment money necessary to purchase” the team.
Regardless, time is really running out to get a deal done. Last year, the NHL confirmed the Thrashers would move to Winnipeg on May 31.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 57
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional