Jun 6, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
The New York Rangers might just hunt for Alexander Radulov due to Marian Gaborik‘s off-season shoulder surgery, but the bottom line is that the team needs a healthy Gaborik to maintain its contender status. The timetable for his return remains to be seen, yet Andrew Gross passes along word that Gabroik and Brandon Prust (finger) underwent “issue-free surgeries” today.
Gaborik received some heat for his late struggles in the playoffs, and to some extent, it comes with the territory for a guy who carries a $7.5 million annual salary cap hit. Still, there should be little doubt that the world-class sniper was hampered by that bum shoulder as the postseason went along.
(We’ll probably hear about more than a few New Jersey Devils and Los Angeles Kings who were fighting through injuries whenever the Stanley Cup finals ends.)
The early word is that Gaborik won’t be ready for the start of next season – assuming it kicks off in October as many of us hope. Considering Gaborik’s value and history of injury troubles, the Rangers would be wise to take a measured approach with his rehab.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 77
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (78)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)