Jun 6, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
The New York Rangers might just hunt for Alexander Radulov due to Marian Gaborik‘s off-season shoulder surgery, but the bottom line is that the team needs a healthy Gaborik to maintain its contender status. The timetable for his return remains to be seen, yet Andrew Gross passes along word that Gabroik and Brandon Prust (finger) underwent “issue-free surgeries” today.
Gaborik received some heat for his late struggles in the playoffs, and to some extent, it comes with the territory for a guy who carries a $7.5 million annual salary cap hit. Still, there should be little doubt that the world-class sniper was hampered by that bum shoulder as the postseason went along.
(We’ll probably hear about more than a few New Jersey Devils and Los Angeles Kings who were fighting through injuries whenever the Stanley Cup finals ends.)
The early word is that Gaborik won’t be ready for the start of next season – assuming it kicks off in October as many of us hope. Considering Gaborik’s value and history of injury troubles, the Rangers would be wise to take a measured approach with his rehab.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 54
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)