Jun 6, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
The New York Rangers might just hunt for Alexander Radulov due to Marian Gaborik‘s off-season shoulder surgery, but the bottom line is that the team needs a healthy Gaborik to maintain its contender status. The timetable for his return remains to be seen, yet Andrew Gross passes along word that Gabroik and Brandon Prust (finger) underwent “issue-free surgeries” today.
Gaborik received some heat for his late struggles in the playoffs, and to some extent, it comes with the territory for a guy who carries a $7.5 million annual salary cap hit. Still, there should be little doubt that the world-class sniper was hampered by that bum shoulder as the postseason went along.
(We’ll probably hear about more than a few New Jersey Devils and Los Angeles Kings who were fighting through injuries whenever the Stanley Cup finals ends.)
The early word is that Gaborik won’t be ready for the start of next season – assuming it kicks off in October as many of us hope. Considering Gaborik’s value and history of injury troubles, the Rangers would be wise to take a measured approach with his rehab.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)