Jun 6, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by the Florida Panthers, the Edmonton Oilers have also extended the contract of their general manager.
Steve Tambellini’s vote of confidence comes despite the fact the Oilers are about to make their third straight first overall draft pick.
“Three years ago we asked Steve to begin a rebuild which we all know hasn’t been easy,” said the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, in a release. “However, Oilers fans can take some consolation in the fact that Steve and his staff have acquired some amazing talent which will most definitely be the cornerstone to future sustained success for the Edmonton Oilers.”
Expect Lowe to face some criticism for extending Tambellini given the Oilers’ win-loss record the past four seasons. Typically press releases announcing new contracts don’t ask fans to “take some consolation.”
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7