Jun 6, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
Not to be outdone by the Florida Panthers, the Edmonton Oilers have also extended the contract of their general manager.
Steve Tambellini’s vote of confidence comes despite the fact the Oilers are about to make their third straight first overall draft pick.
“Three years ago we asked Steve to begin a rebuild which we all know hasn’t been easy,” said the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, in a release. “However, Oilers fans can take some consolation in the fact that Steve and his staff have acquired some amazing talent which will most definitely be the cornerstone to future sustained success for the Edmonton Oilers.”
Expect Lowe to face some criticism for extending Tambellini given the Oilers’ win-loss record the past four seasons. Typically press releases announcing new contracts don’t ask fans to “take some consolation.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4