Jun 6, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by the Florida Panthers, the Edmonton Oilers have also extended the contract of their general manager.
Steve Tambellini’s vote of confidence comes despite the fact the Oilers are about to make their third straight first overall draft pick.
“Three years ago we asked Steve to begin a rebuild which we all know hasn’t been easy,” said the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, in a release. “However, Oilers fans can take some consolation in the fact that Steve and his staff have acquired some amazing talent which will most definitely be the cornerstone to future sustained success for the Edmonton Oilers.”
Expect Lowe to face some criticism for extending Tambellini given the Oilers’ win-loss record the past four seasons. Typically press releases announcing new contracts don’t ask fans to “take some consolation.”
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 1
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 25
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8