Jun 6, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
Those who question official attendance numbers at certain NHL rinks should find this interesting.
From the Tampa Bay Times:
Lightning attendance took an appreciable jump this season.
Official average attendance (tickets sold and distributed) was 18,468, up 7 percent from 17,268 in 2010-11. But more notable, records from Hillsborough County, which owns the Tampa Bay Times Forum, show actual attendance (that is, the turnstile count) up 14 percent from an average 13,474 in 2010-11 to 15,364.
In other words, around 3,000 sold/distributed tickets per game went unused last season. Some might’ve belonged to season-ticket holders that didn’t go or didn’t/couldn’t give them away. Others could’ve been team giveaways that never got used.
Overall it’s good news though. Hopefully the Lightning can keep moving in the right direction off the ice. We’ll see if the team’s failure to make the playoffs one season after nearly making the Stanley Cup finals has any effect.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 58
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)