Jun 6, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils aren’t looking particularly good right now, but making it to the Stanley Cup finals is an accomplishment in itself. It also reinforces the idea that Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has already assembled a team capable of competing with the big boys. After all, the Panthers took the Devils to overtime in Game 6 of the first round and double-overtime in Game 7.
Just one good bounce, and things could have turned out very differently for Florida.
“It just gives you some indication of what Dale has already accomplished in the plan up until now and what we should be able to achieve going forward,” Panthers General Partner Cliff Viner said after Florida signed Tallon to a multi-year extension.
After going more than a decade between playoff games, the Panthers are finally relevant again and the architect of that transformation isn’t planning on leaving any time soon.
“I want to be here forever,” Tallon said. “I’m still a young man. I’m fit. I’m willing and I’m able. I like it in Florida. I like Cliff Viner. I like working with him and I like working in this organization. We have a long way to go but I’m excited about our future. I couldn’t think of being in any other place. This is a thrill and I’m proud as hell to be a Florida Panther.”
He’s already preparing for the 2012-13 campaign with the goal of taking things a step further next season.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)