Jun 6, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils aren’t looking particularly good right now, but making it to the Stanley Cup finals is an accomplishment in itself. It also reinforces the idea that Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has already assembled a team capable of competing with the big boys. After all, the Panthers took the Devils to overtime in Game 6 of the first round and double-overtime in Game 7.
Just one good bounce, and things could have turned out very differently for Florida.
“It just gives you some indication of what Dale has already accomplished in the plan up until now and what we should be able to achieve going forward,” Panthers General Partner Cliff Viner said after Florida signed Tallon to a multi-year extension.
After going more than a decade between playoff games, the Panthers are finally relevant again and the architect of that transformation isn’t planning on leaving any time soon.
“I want to be here forever,” Tallon said. “I’m still a young man. I’m fit. I’m willing and I’m able. I like it in Florida. I like Cliff Viner. I like working with him and I like working in this organization. We have a long way to go but I’m excited about our future. I couldn’t think of being in any other place. This is a thrill and I’m proud as hell to be a Florida Panther.”
He’s already preparing for the 2012-13 campaign with the goal of taking things a step further next season.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks