Jun 6, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
When the New Jersey Devils have needed a hero this postseason, they’ve turned to the third-youngest guy on the team.
That, of course, is 21-year-old Adam Henrique, who continued to grow his legend in Los Angeles on Wednesday night by scoring the game-winning goal in New Jersey’s 3-1 win over the Kings in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
With the goal, Henrique prevented a Kings sweep and gave a glimmer of hope that the seemingly unbeatable Jonathan Quick was, well, beatable.
“Big-time play,”DeBoer said of Henrique’s goal in the postgame presser. “Off a skate, a quick shot up top. I mean, especially with the way Quick has been playing. It was a goal-scorer’s play. He’s got a knack for that.”
Prior to tonight’s heroics, Henrique had scored New Jersey’s two biggest goals of the season. There was a double-OT, Game 7-winner in the opening round against Florida followed by his Game 6 OT decider in the Eastern Conference finals against the Rangers.
Following the defeat of New York, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer had nothing but praise for his Calder Trophy candidate, saying “this kid is just right place, right time, all the time.”
On Wednesday night, Henrique was exactly that.
Note: According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Henrique’s three game-winning goals this postseason are the most by a rookie since 1999, when a pair of Avs rookies — Chris Drury and Milan Hejduk — accomplished the feat.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)