Jun 6, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Former Red Wings grind line stud Darren McCarty is doing a lot to clean up his life. Some of his friends aren’t taking his new lifestyle so well, apparently.
According to The Detroit News, McCarty and his wife took out an order of protection against four of their friends because he’s trying to straighten up his life and get away from his old partying ways.
“All we want is to be left alone,” McCarty said in an interview. “I ignored some of the things they were doing and was willing to let it go, until they started threatening my wife and me. Death threats.
“They don’t like me because I’m not running around with them anymore, and they don’t like her because we got married and just want to get on with our lives.”
On top of the death threats and other ugly behavior, the McCartys allege the four former friends are stalking them both on the Internet and real life. The price of fame can be rough when things turn ugly like this.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)