Jun 6, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Former Red Wings grind line stud Darren McCarty is doing a lot to clean up his life. Some of his friends aren’t taking his new lifestyle so well, apparently.
According to The Detroit News, McCarty and his wife took out an order of protection against four of their friends because he’s trying to straighten up his life and get away from his old partying ways.
“All we want is to be left alone,” McCarty said in an interview. “I ignored some of the things they were doing and was willing to let it go, until they started threatening my wife and me. Death threats.
“They don’t like me because I’m not running around with them anymore, and they don’t like her because we got married and just want to get on with our lives.”
On top of the death threats and other ugly behavior, the McCartys allege the four former friends are stalking them both on the Internet and real life. The price of fame can be rough when things turn ugly like this.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)