Jun 6, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Going into the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, it seemed like Jonathan Quick vs. Martin Brodeur might just be the deciding advantage of the series. Considering the fact that the New Jersey Devils have only beaten Quick twice in three games so far, it’s pretty tough to lay the blame on Brodeur, who sort of called his teammates out on Tuesday.
“I try to give these guys a chance to win,” Brodeur said. “I’ve done that in the first three games. At the end of the day, it’s hard to win games when you don’t score many goals. I try to be perfect. But the other guy [Quick] is a little more perfect than me right now.”
Should that be read as Brodeur passing off blame or merely his attempt to inspire his teammates to break out of their scoring lulls? Either way, the Devils haven’t cracked the code just yet tonight; the game is 0-0 midway through the first period.
If Brodeur plays his last game as a Devils goalie either tonight or in the next several days, his comments might be the sign of some final frustrations, though.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)