Jun 6, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
There are a number of ways NHLers spend their offseasons: golfing, fishing, not playing hockey, etc.
Then there’s Edmonton Oilers forward Ales Hemsky.
According to the IIHF website, the 28-year-old recently played for the Czech Republic in the World Inline Hockey Championships. Yes, roller hockey.
The Czech team was coached by his brother, Petr, and apparently in need of some scoring punch for a quarterfinal game against Germany — enter Hemsky, who made his tournament debut with two assists in a 6-5 OT loss.
Alas, it would be the first and last game for Hemsky, who didn’t dress for the Czechs in their final “placement game” against Sweden.
In case you’re curious, the Inline Worlds were played in Germany this year in a city called Inglostadt, located along the banks of the Danube River. Ingolstadt is mentioned in the novel Frankenstein by Mary Shelley — it’s the birth place of the monster created by scientist Victor Frankenstein.
So yeah, you know that now.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)