Jun 5, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Michel Therrien called today an “important day for myself, my family, and my close friends” at the press conference announcing his hiring as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens.
Suffice to say it’s almost an important day for the Habs following a disastrous season that saw them finish 28th overall, ahead of only Columbus and Edmonton.
Therrien said his intentions are to “bring back intensity, pride and discipline” to the storied club and called it “an honor to coach the Montreal Canadiens.”
Of course, Therien’s had that honor before – he coached the Habs from 2000 until he was fired in January of 2003. But he said he’s changed since then.
“It goes with maturity,” said Therrien, whose contract reportedly spans three years. “I got a lot of experience coaching that club before and I brought that experience and knowledge when I left Montreal.”
The 48-year-old’s hiring hasn’t exactly been met with universal approval by the fans, but at least he’s saying all the right things so far.
Now that new general manager Marc Bergevin has picked his head coach, his attention will turn to the the draft (June 22-23), where the Canadiens will choose third overall.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)