Jun 5, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Michel Therrien called today an “important day for myself, my family, and my close friends” at the press conference announcing his hiring as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens.
Suffice to say it’s almost an important day for the Habs following a disastrous season that saw them finish 28th overall, ahead of only Columbus and Edmonton.
Therrien said his intentions are to “bring back intensity, pride and discipline” to the storied club and called it “an honor to coach the Montreal Canadiens.”
Of course, Therien’s had that honor before – he coached the Habs from 2000 until he was fired in January of 2003. But he said he’s changed since then.
“It goes with maturity,” said Therrien, whose contract reportedly spans three years. “I got a lot of experience coaching that club before and I brought that experience and knowledge when I left Montreal.”
The 48-year-old’s hiring hasn’t exactly been met with universal approval by the fans, but at least he’s saying all the right things so far.
Now that new general manager Marc Bergevin has picked his head coach, his attention will turn to the the draft (June 22-23), where the Canadiens will choose third overall.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)