Jun 5, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Michel Therrien called today an “important day for myself, my family, and my close friends” at the press conference announcing his hiring as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens.
Suffice to say it’s almost an important day for the Habs following a disastrous season that saw them finish 28th overall, ahead of only Columbus and Edmonton.
Therrien said his intentions are to “bring back intensity, pride and discipline” to the storied club and called it “an honor to coach the Montreal Canadiens.”
Of course, Therien’s had that honor before – he coached the Habs from 2000 until he was fired in January of 2003. But he said he’s changed since then.
“It goes with maturity,” said Therrien, whose contract reportedly spans three years. “I got a lot of experience coaching that club before and I brought that experience and knowledge when I left Montreal.”
The 48-year-old’s hiring hasn’t exactly been met with universal approval by the fans, but at least he’s saying all the right things so far.
Now that new general manager Marc Bergevin has picked his head coach, his attention will turn to the the draft (June 22-23), where the Canadiens will choose third overall.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)