Jun 5, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Michel Therrien called today an “important day for myself, my family, and my close friends” at the press conference announcing his hiring as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens.
Suffice to say it’s almost an important day for the Habs following a disastrous season that saw them finish 28th overall, ahead of only Columbus and Edmonton.
Therrien said his intentions are to “bring back intensity, pride and discipline” to the storied club and called it “an honor to coach the Montreal Canadiens.”
Of course, Therien’s had that honor before – he coached the Habs from 2000 until he was fired in January of 2003. But he said he’s changed since then.
“It goes with maturity,” said Therrien, whose contract reportedly spans three years. “I got a lot of experience coaching that club before and I brought that experience and knowledge when I left Montreal.”
The 48-year-old’s hiring hasn’t exactly been met with universal approval by the fans, but at least he’s saying all the right things so far.
Now that new general manager Marc Bergevin has picked his head coach, his attention will turn to the the draft (June 22-23), where the Canadiens will choose third overall.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights