Jun 5, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
There was uncertainty surrounding Sharks forward Dominic Moore when he missed the final two games of San Jose’s opening-round playoff series against St. Louis. The 31-year-old had been a lineup regular in a checking role and there was no reason given for his absence — until today.
The Sharks released the following statement today on behalf of Moore, which explains why he left the team:
There have been a lot of questions and concerns raised since it was revealed that I had to miss several games of the Sharks/Blues playoff series due to a family matter and I wanted to update extended family, friends, and former teammates on our situation.
Towards the end of the 2011-12 season, my wife, Katie, began feeling ill. We visited with local doctors, who suggested running a variety of tests to ascertain the cause of the issue. Ultimately, Katie was diagnosed with a rare liver cancer and it was recommended that she undergo surgery, which took place in California in April.
While it was disappointing to not be able to compete with my Sharks teammates in the playoffs, my wife’s condition and care come first and I want to thank the Sharks organization, my teammates and their families for the love and support that has been shown to Katie and I during this difficult time.
We continue to pursue the best treatment and care for Katie.
According to David Pollack of the San Jose Mercury News, there was no further update on Katie’s current health, and a team spokesman said Dominic will not have any further comment at this time.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8