Jun 5, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
There was uncertainty surrounding Sharks forward Dominic Moore when he missed the final two games of San Jose’s opening-round playoff series against St. Louis. The 31-year-old had been a lineup regular in a checking role and there was no reason given for his absence — until today.
The Sharks released the following statement today on behalf of Moore, which explains why he left the team:
There have been a lot of questions and concerns raised since it was revealed that I had to miss several games of the Sharks/Blues playoff series due to a family matter and I wanted to update extended family, friends, and former teammates on our situation.
Towards the end of the 2011-12 season, my wife, Katie, began feeling ill. We visited with local doctors, who suggested running a variety of tests to ascertain the cause of the issue. Ultimately, Katie was diagnosed with a rare liver cancer and it was recommended that she undergo surgery, which took place in California in April.
While it was disappointing to not be able to compete with my Sharks teammates in the playoffs, my wife’s condition and care come first and I want to thank the Sharks organization, my teammates and their families for the love and support that has been shown to Katie and I during this difficult time.
We continue to pursue the best treatment and care for Katie.
According to David Pollack of the San Jose Mercury News, there was no further update on Katie’s current health, and a team spokesman said Dominic will not have any further comment at this time.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 0
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 3
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 18
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 37
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)